Sunday, November 05, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Something Good

    When you re-read a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before;
    you see more in yourself than was there before.
    -Clifton Fadiman

    OK, maybe I exaggerated. There's at least one good thing that came from reorganizing my yarn stash. Three, even.

    1. I Found This:

    This is a, um, er, birthday gift from my college roommate. She had the good fortune to go to Nova Scotia in August, and the good taste to bring me my first-ever Fleece Artist yarn. That's Peter Rabbit, an angora blend, in absolutely wonderful colors. While I'm tempted to make The World's Most Decadent Pair of Socks, I don't want to ruin this treasure. I'm thinking a simple lace, like razor shell, maybe in a moebius? In the back is another fine Canadian yarn, Briggs and Little Durasport. It's a sport weight wool-nylon blend perfect for socks. The color has much more depth than you can see with the flash here. Isn't it nice when friends know you so well?

    2. It Has Some Rhyme and Reason To It:

    It turns out that my stash is not a completely disordered hodge-podge of yarn. While there are certainly outliers, the core stash is strikingly consistent. I reach for my favorites all the time.

    Worsted weight wool? Cascade 220
    "Rugged" worsted weight? Canadian - Briggs and Little. PEI. It all goes together.
    Fancy Facecloths? Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille
    Colorwork? Dale of Norway. Baby Ull. Heilo. Anything as long as it's Dale. Did you know that there are Dale patterns that call for "remnants" in the quantity section?
    Cotton? Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece
    Baby Clothes? Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece or Dale Baby Ull

    The beauty of this (somewhat) consistency is that my leftovers go together. (This is, er, somewhat aided by the fact that I always buy too much yarn.) I used leftover Cascade 220 from Am Kamin, my Knitting Olympics project, to knit the soles of my new FiberTrends felted clogs. And the leftovers from my long-neglected Ribby Cardi will match the rest of the Am Kamin leftovers. Which match some random skeins I have. Which leads us to the third good thing about stash reorganization . . .

    3. Think of the Possibilities:

    Seeing it all together makes me aware of the possibilities. There's enough Cotton Fleece in complementary colors for several baby sweaters. And plenty of Cascade 220 for all the Christmas hats, or striped scarves, or felted slippers I might ever want to knit. And I can put a contrasting hem on anything.

    It is somewhat sobering to realize that my yarn stash will probably never be significantly smaller than it is currently, regardless of my minor problem obsession fascination with knitting small round objects out of scraps. I create odd balls faster than I can knit them. You can only make so many Christmas ornaments. And you never do know when you'll need those 6 yards of Lopi in a contrasting color. So that's the stash. Full of possibilities.

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Ahhhhh, possibilities! My favorite part of reorganizing the stash is remembering things I purchased for specific projects that I'd forgotten about (as I'm strictly a project purchaser). But then it makes me want to cast on for a whole new ream of projects right away.

    11/06/2006 4:23 AM  
    Blogger Becka said...

    LOL, it's as if you have been yarn shopping...for free!!!! What a nice discovery while organizing the stash!
    I must agree with you, cotton fleece is a wonderful cotton, one of my faves, right up there with Blue Sky cotton!

    11/06/2006 5:39 AM  
    Blogger Susanne said...

    The Briggs and Little is great yarn, but is rather rough. May I suggest a nice vinegar bath after you finish whatever you knit with it...softens things up considerably for the wearer!
    Nice to organize isn't it...makes you feel all sanctimonious about your stash...I guess:)

    11/06/2006 6:36 AM  
    Blogger Marji said...

    you knit Am Kamin for your Olympics project? WOW! I just got the book and now have to find the links to the help for translations.
    your spreadsheet? is it an Excel spreadsheet, using the default font? If so, then you do indeed have a very formidable stash. I've been avoiding updating my spreadsheet since I did it for Flash your Stash back April 1 - same reasoning as you, too horrifying for daily contemplation.
    I came looking for the pic of the finished Peacock Feathers. Do you have it posted yet?

    11/06/2006 7:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good rationalization! I like it. The thing I have problems with, with my own stash, is time for all the possibilities. It's hard to justify or rationalize stashing beyond life expectancy.

    11/06/2006 9:08 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Ah, yes - the stash is a powerful thing. I am starting to realize how much potential is in my own. Lately I've been getting a real kick out of small stash projects, especially when they are with the things I wasn't sure I would ever find a use for.

    11/06/2006 1:34 PM  
    Blogger Debi said...

    That Briggs and Little yarn is lovely! Your friend does have good taste.

    thanks for the compliments on my entrelac socks :)

    11/06/2006 2:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There is such truth in that quote. As I have reread beloved books from my childhood, it is with a whole new perspective after entering different stages of my life (wife,mother, educator...)
    Re: yarns - I have quantities of Cascade 220 and Dale Heilo and Ull, with Peer Gynt and Jo Sharp rounding out the favorites I buy over and over.

    11/06/2006 4:45 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's always so nice to rummage through your stash and rediscover something.

    Christmas ornaments now, but Easter eggs next.

    11/06/2006 4:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love stash reorganization! I got my spreadsheet template from KatydidKnits http://katydidknits.blogspot.com/ (on her sidebar). I love it. She did a great job. I'm a full Excel geek but she beat me! LOL

    BTW, the Peter Rabbit pills like nobody's business!! I amde fuzzy little wristwarmers out of it. k3, p1 all the way sorta things. They're warm and cute, but pilly now and sadly there's not much you can do about it. Or is there???

    11/10/2006 7:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    After living apart from your stash for so long, I think it's good you finally got reacquainted with it. At least you know exactly where things stand.

    11/11/2006 2:59 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home