Tuesday, October 17, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Sock Story

    This is a revolution!
    We have to offend somebody!

    -John Adams' character in Sherman Edwards' 1776

    Where have I been?
    The Navy sent me to a conference in Bethesda, MD last week with approximately 24h notice that I was going, and no reliabe internet access. And now I'm back. And I just started Night Float. So don't be suprised if you see strange time-stamps on my posts and comments. Last night was crazy, but I have it on good authority that occasionally it slows down for at least 20 minutes. And now, back to our regularly scheduled blogging with my better-late-than-never Sock Story, as suggested by Lolly.

    When did you start making socks?
    I started making socks in December 2001, about a year after I'd started knitting. I had spent an entire year making garter stitch scarves and only recently decided to branch out. I made a pair of mittens, and then thought I'd make my dad some socks for Christmas.

    Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
    I taught myself. Like almost everything else in knitting. Google is my friend.

    What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
    There is not a 1:1 correspondence between my first started pair and my first finished pair.
    My first started pair is to the right (now finished, obviously). Regia jacquard on US2s. I quickly realized that I should not learn sock construction on fingering weight yarn and switched to a basic ribbed pair in Wool-Ease. My excuse: I was reading the Knitlist at the time. People do actually make socks out of Wool-Ease. So why are they not pictured? They fell apart. A while ago.

    What would you have done differently?
    Not use Wool-Ease. It doesn't hold up.

    What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

    What yarns haven't I particularly enjoyed?

    Do you like to crochet your socks?

    Or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
    I do not crochet. Ever. DPNS all the way. I like to channel Laura Ingalls Wilder.

    Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
    Colleen and I are in intense (but friendly) disagreement about this. I love everything about a heel flap. Heel stitch, or eye of partridge if I want to be adventurous; turning; gussets; and most of all how they fit my feet.

    How many pairs have you made?

    98. Numbers 99, 100, 101, and 102 in progress.

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Welcome back! Night floats? Does that have anything to do with knitting fair isle sweaters in the middle of the night? Your poor body...but you are young and can handle it much better than us ancient ones. "You take the King's shilling, you do the King's bidding"

    10/18/2006 12:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Please share your secret on knitting so fast?!? Because I know you don't have any more time than I do, and probably much less.

    10/18/2006 1:35 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    My first pair of socks (in 1995) was in Wool-Ease based on something I read on the Knitlist too! They were for my mum and actually held up pretty well - but I think mum treated them like museum pieces! She only just this year said her handknit socks were wearing out, could she have another pair.

    10/18/2006 3:53 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Seems to be the trend to knit your first socks out of wool-ease! I'm so glad I'm finally trendy.....
    Welcome back!

    10/18/2006 5:03 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are jut an aawesome knitter! Are you going to have a party to celebrate #100?

    10/19/2006 12:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Haven't tried Wool-Ease for socks, but I'll take your word for it!

    10/19/2006 7:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do we have literary evidence that Laura Ingalls Wilder knit socks on DPNs? Or are you just assuming? If the former, I would be interested in the exact reference.

    I am on sock pair #6. And I have #7 and #8 planned as Christmas gifts. Don't you DARE say I told you so.

    10/21/2006 7:37 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home