Tuesday, September 26, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Like a Baby

    People who say they sleep like a baby probably don't have one.
    -Leo Burke

    Ah, Month 4 of internship. My own personal purgatory of the Navy-mandated Ob-Gyn block for all interns regardless of specialty. While I'm trying not to be a conspiracy theorist, it does seem like every pregnant woman in a 100 mile radius is miserable and coming to my hospital just to make me as miserable as they are. But I digress. Suffice it to say that in the past 6 days I've worked 89 hours, with yet another call coming up on Thursday. And, yes, this is legal even with the 80-hour work week. I have a three day conference at the end of the month that does not count as duty hours, so my 4-week average comes in just under the wire. It's painful.

    What makes it less painful is my fun, exciting project-of-the-month, the Felted Balls from Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby:

    Nothing says fun like garter stitch, oddballs, and felting. Seriously - the cure for stress. No matter how tired I am (very), even I can't mess this up. And if I do? It's getting felted. There's something so incredibly satisfying about using up oddballs. See the stripes above? Some of those pieces are only a couple of yards long. Not only am I using scraps of wool, but after they're felted I'm going to stuff them with scraps of non-feltable yarn. Technically speaking, there's not a lot to talk about here. But it's fun. Maybe it's just that I'm so tired, but these are about all I can knit right now. And did I mention that it's fun?

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Marina said...

    Do you know what that reminds me of?

    This and this!

    9/26/2006 1:28 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I have all the same questions! Can't wait to see them - sounds like fun!

    9/26/2006 3:16 PM  
    Blogger Punkin said...

    I just saw a blurb on t.v. about Fort Irwin in Texas and the training the military is doing there. Is this where you went? It was interesting to see the training exercises.

    9/26/2006 3:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am so not looking forward to hubby's or rotation. It is cruel how they can manipulate the facts to get around 80 hr limit.

    9/26/2006 4:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I should make these. First, I've made almost every other pattern in the book, so there's no excuse for my not making these. Second, I find it immensely satisfying to use up leftover yarn -- it makes me sleep better at night.

    Can't wait to see yours in their finished state!

    9/26/2006 5:02 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Oh my, Theresa! You must be exhausted..and, how are you able to post so often on your blog and enjoy your Eye Candy? How long does interning last?

    9/26/2006 8:23 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Those really do look fun! And how else would you get to use the phrase "felted balls" without raising an eyebrow?

    9/27/2006 3:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh how I love to felt something! Excellent idea to use the oddball yarn.

    9/27/2006 9:10 PM  
    Blogger Jocele said...

    Hey, Watch those pregnant lady comments! But I know what you mean. "So, you've been having back pain for two days, and you decided that 3 in the morning today was a good time to come in?" Maybe that's just my patients. Hope you're (sort of) enjoying yourself and are getting some sleep.

    9/28/2006 10:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home