Sunday, August 20, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Useful and Beautiful

    Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful,
    or believe to be beautiful.
    -William Morris

    Let's review the plan, shall we? My year of indentured servitude internship is divided into 13 "months." I knit. I want to continue to knit. Oh, and by the way, I just moved a huge number of boxes of knitting books and yarn cross-country. Maybe I should use them. Especially the books. Books are heavier than yarn. So each "month" I intend to start (yes, there is no mention of finishing here) a project from a here-to-fore under-utilized book.

    While Month 1 is still sitting around here somewhere in a state of uncompletion, Month 2 is actually done. Amazing. Incredible. To what complicated involved project did I devote so much time and attention? A Mason-Dixon ballband dishcloth!

    OK, you have definitely not seen it here first. You have definitely not seen it here last. But you have now seen it here. Useful. Beautiful. The colors are not that fun, but it was oddballs. And simple enough to knit while reading about osteopenia. I'm a convert. I may have even started a second one. You know, so that I'll have another unfinished project lying around. Never can have too many of those.

    Month 3 starts on Tuesday. It is entirely possible that I have just ordered some yarn. All that yarn I just moved cross-country? That would be wool.

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Are you saying that wool is less than perfect for the San Diego inclement weather? Which is, I believe, a single cloud in the sky.

    Your ball band dishcloth looks both beautiful & useful. I can't believe how much I like knitting those darn dishcloths.

    8/20/2006 1:00 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Love the washcloth. I'm guessing it won't be your last.

    8/20/2006 4:21 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    An FO is an FO, and even better when you know it will be used. Hmmm, since when does a year have 13 months?

    8/20/2006 6:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a bunch of those. Useful,pretty , productive mindless knitting. Gotta love it!

    8/20/2006 6:40 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I say good for you for keeping those 13 months interesting. It's a good way to count off the months. I just noticed in your sidebar that you're on Master Knitting level 2. All I need to finish level 1 is write the little essay on blocking. All my swatches are done. Maybe I should make that my goal for this school year - finish my level 1 by the time I graduate!

    8/20/2006 9:01 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yay for dishcloths! And new yarn! Happy Birthday week!

    8/20/2006 9:20 PM  
    Blogger sheep#100 said...

    Addicting little suckers, aren't they?

    8/21/2006 6:42 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Those ballbands are fun to knit. I just knit my first one, too and have decided that everyone is going to get one for Christmas. I'm going to buy quart-size Mason jars and put the cloth in the jar with some Williams and Sonoma dishsoap. Hows that? Do you think the recipients will think I've lost my marbles? Or will it just confirm that I have OCD?

    8/21/2006 8:13 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    your comment about the md washcloths reminds me of a great quote ... former (and now late) u.s. representative mo udall once said in a debate on the floor of the house, "it's all been said, but not everybody's had a chance to say it." :)

    8/22/2006 7:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just to clarify, you're telling me you're a convert to dishcloths, not osteopenia, right?

    I rather like the colors, though I suppose they say "New England log cabin" more than "hip San Diego lifestyle." :)

    8/23/2006 7:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home