Tuesday, July 18, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Hard Choices

    Life is choices.
    -Rob Orr, my high school biology teacher

    Sometimes, this NewCaliforniaLifestyle of mine just gets too challening. Hard choices to be made between two very good options. Saturday presented one of the biggest challenges yet - knitting with the super-duper San Diego knitters or sailing in the bay. With all affection for the knitters, they meet pretty often. A day on the water is a little harder to come by.

    Do you see the sock in the photo? Barely there, but I did knit a whole couple of rows of the heel flap just so my knitting wouldn't feel TOO neglected.

    In other meta-knitting news, I've discovered one of the great consolations over overnight call. As previously discussed here, we wear our uniforms with pride at my particular military installation. Except after 1600 on overnight call when we can wear scrubs. Scrubs are all sorts of comfy fun (see Gamecock Doc - she agrees), but that also means I get to wear my fun brightly-colored handknit socks every fourth night. What a deal, what a deal!

    And as a related note for those of you following the "now-she's-a-doctor" saga, thank God for the 80 work week. I am post-call today, so I was leaving the hospital after my 30 consecutive hours were up. (And in my particular military installation, we change back into our uniforms - with pride, of course - on our post-call mornings.) I made it off the wards to the intern locker room - No bookbag. Went back to the call room. Went back to my locker. Made it out of the hospital to the edge of the courtyard - no cover (uniform hat). Can't go to the parking lot without a cover. Back to the locker. Made it out to the parking lot - no keys. Lather, rinse, repeat - I got my cell phone on the fourth trip. And I felt just fine. Doesn't that make you glad I wasn't taking care of patients at the time?

    20 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yay for sailing! Looks like a lovely time - and sometimes it's nice to have a wee knitting break.
    I'm glad you're hanging in there! Keep sleeping! :)

    7/18/2006 8:11 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    I would have taken the sailing too!

    7/18/2006 8:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Definitely the sailing! Lovely!

    7/18/2006 8:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The sailing, no contest.

    7/19/2006 6:16 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You can bring your knitting on the sailboat, but not the sailboat to knitting group. :) Hope you are getting some sleep too.

    7/19/2006 6:20 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    Good choice, going sailing! And, yes, I'm glad 'the forgetful you' wasn't caring for patients after 30 hours straight.

    7/19/2006 6:49 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    That's a beautiful sailing picture.

    7/19/2006 7:41 AM  
    Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

    I can't even begin to count the number of times that I got home post call, only to realize that I hadn't passed the code pager on to the day person and that it was still clipped to my waistband.

    7/19/2006 2:38 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Definitely sailing!

    And that Nine Trips for Perfectly Ordinary Items? Is a summer thing.

    I hope.

    Otherwise it's Overworked (for you) and Old Age (for me.)

    7/19/2006 3:53 PM  
    Blogger GamecockDoc said...

    Yay for scrubs. I would hate to have to change into real clothes post-call. I'm already tired and cranky and just trying to get home. Nothing wrong with forgetting the little stuff...you're saving your attention for patient care. (At least that's what I told myself when I lost my pencil for the hundreth time last night.)

    7/20/2006 7:31 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Are you kidding? Definitely a day on the water. :) Way to make us jealous of your NewCaliforniaLifestyle.

    7/20/2006 11:45 AM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    Mmmm the water looks gorgeous. I feel like I'm reliving my husband's first year vicariously through you, only he had no military uniform and didn't get to sail.

    7/20/2006 12:26 PM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    The 36 hour shift for interns/residents needs to be abolished. Your story is a prime example. Hang in there girl!

    7/20/2006 4:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Teri, You know I would have said to go sailing, especially with a good looking captain--nice smile and such and nice boat. Nothing like being out on the water to clear your head. The knitting can wait for rainy weather. Keep the info coming and enjoy. Love, Aunt Carol

    7/20/2006 4:03 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looking at that picture, I don't think any knitter could begrudge you your choice. It's hard to believe, though, looking at that picture, that your life is the sleepless madness that I know it is.

    Glad you're having time for SOME fun in YourNewCaliforniaLifestyle!

    7/21/2006 12:29 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    I'd vote for the sailing, too. And as screwy as my schedule is, at least I don't have to do overnight call anymore. Or change into a uniform and be expected to be presentable at the end of my shift.

    7/21/2006 4:26 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Baby, you can treat me anytime!

    Now get some sleep.

    7/21/2006 10:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bag the knitting until winter and enjoy the summer sailing and whatever they do in california. Along with Christine, you perked my interest. Who was the sailing buddy???? Grammy

    7/23/2006 7:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, at least all your important clothing items were on for each trip out. Those other things can be easily retrieved without a lot of embarassment! I'm a total zombie when on little or no sleep, so I can relate.

    7/23/2006 8:45 PM  
    Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

    I'm with your teacher; trying to teach my kids to make good choices in life. I also tell them life is about timing. So now, it's time to pick up my lace and determine if I really need to order one more skein :-(
    Li

    7/25/2006 5:10 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home