Sunday, July 02, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Challenge

    If we knew what it was we were doing,
    it would not be called research, would it?
    -Albert Einstein

    If you've been over to The Amazing Lace recently, you know that the action is hopping. Things are hot. People are knitting lace, writing poetry, and performing daredevil stunts of staggering genius. While I couldn't even hope to approach most of them (people are writing sonnets and poems in iambic pentameter, among other things), I did have a little bit of a poem that I jotted down during some lecture last week. I stuck it in the pocket of my white coat, thinking that at some point in my 3o continuous hours in the hospital this weekend, I'd have five minutes to blog it.

    How wrong I was. Intern call is way different than med student call. From just about 0600 Saturday until 1200 Sunday, I didn't sit down once, unless it was to put something (work-related) into the computer. I did get to lay down and doze for about 30 minutes, but that was it. It was a good night and I'm not complaining - But, no poem. Now I'm home briefly before collapsing and I realize that I left the poem in my white coat. So here's the post-call free association poetry you get instead (Sorry!):

    The lace.
    The pace.
    The race.
    The amazing lace pace.
    The amazing lace race.
    The amazing race pace lace.
    The lace pace race pace lace.
    The lace.

    Actual knitting to return tomorrow. The clogs may even make their first appearance.

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Jocele said...

    Good ol' intern year. My first night of internship I was on call at the VA. I came close to throwing up several times. But I got through, as will you. And it DOES eventually get easier.

    7/02/2006 10:22 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    You must be exhausted. Get some rest and we'll see you on the flip side.

    7/03/2006 7:34 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    I'm impressed that you managed to write a poem or get any knitting done at all!

    7/03/2006 7:35 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    But those interns on Grey's Anatomy seem to have tons of free time! Next you are going to tell me you haven't had to perform open heart surgery in an elevator. :)

    I am glad to hear that you are hanging in there.

    7/03/2006 9:12 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Considering the pace you're keeping, that the lace race got any time and thought at all is what's Amazing.

    Oh, and Hi, August Birthday Swap pal! Before you put it on your list, I'm fairly certain that even though I have a huge crush on a (former) Time Lord, I can't give you any more hours in a day. Anything else, I'll do my bestest.

    7/03/2006 12:06 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Suessian. I like!

    7/03/2006 3:31 PM  
    Blogger Larjmarj said...

    Get some rest girl! (On the advice of an occupational therapist) or else you'll be needing a doctor. ;-)

    7/03/2006 3:39 PM  
    Blogger GamecockDoc said...

    So right about intern call. I actually brought my knitting last night thinking I would have some downtime. Silly intern!

    Get some sleep!

    7/04/2006 7:31 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man, and here I was thinking I had just such a spectacular excuse not to submit a poem for the TAL challenge -- I was in Europe! Traveling! Oh so busy! But then I see that you got six minutes of sleep in three weeks (or whatever it was you said, I was skimming to get to the poem), and you STILL posted a challenge entry!

    I am ashamed.

    7/08/2006 4:49 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home