Thursday, June 29, 2006

  • Main Page
  • T Minus Zero

    I don't know what it's like for a book writer or a doctor or a teacher as they work to get established in their jobs. But for a singer, you've got to continue to grow, or else you're like last night's cornbread - stale and dry.
    -Loretta Lynn

    OK, a show of hands -

    How many of the doctors out there started their first real day of internship with a uniform inspection? That's what I thought.
    So I'm off in inspection-ready summer whites for the last bit of orientating and motivational speaches by the Admiral. By this afternoon, I'll have patients; I'll be their doctor. (This is, of course, just an exciting prelude to a long weekend on call.) It's all very exciting. And scary. But mostly exciting.

    The knitting corrollary - and there is always a knitting corrollary - Knitting Is A Metaphor for Life - is that my plan has begun with the Ladybug sweater from the Dale book. I've cast on for the hat and am making good progress on the patterned section. Photos to follow, likely tomorrow.

    Which brings us to our second point: I know that many of you are faithful daily(ish) readers. My aunt reads my blog instead of taking up smoking to have a break at work (see - knitting blogs: good for your health), and my dad is on a regular schedule of showing the blog to everyone he works with, and I'm pretty sure there are even some of you not related to me. Without getting all gooey, I love knitting and I love blogging about my knitting and I'm continuing both. Expect to see approximately 3 posts a week, on a random schedule. That's the goal. This month I have Q4 call, other months Q3, and some blessed months without any call whatsoever. Variable reinforcement is the most effective, right? So hang tight, check in with Bloglines, and I'll see you when I'm not running around the hospital like a crazy lady doctor.

    22 Comments:

    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Theresa, I just wanted to wish the best of luck as you begin your internship. Hang in there -- it will be intense! I do hope you find time for blogging and of course, for knitting!

    6/29/2006 5:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    T, You will do your uniform proud. your family is already proud of you.

    6/29/2006 5:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good luck today. I'll read your random posts. Looking forward to the Dale knitting.

    6/29/2006 5:48 AM  
    Blogger Sonya said...

    You know you have many, many knitters rooting for you. And we're not even related! Looking forward to seeing the Dale knitting.

    6/29/2006 6:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa,

    Best of luck on your first day with patients! You're going to do a great job. Can't wait to see your sweater. (Do you feel like Perri Klass? Isn't she a knitting doctor too?).

    6/29/2006 6:23 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Love your dad's comment- we're all proud! Have a great first day - "break a leg" - oh.... they probably don't say that to doctors! OK - "fix a leg".

    6/29/2006 7:13 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So you are going to have to behave like the rest of us and sleep and stuff? Oh Theresa, you are letting me down!!

    Here's to smooth sailing (hee!) for the next year!! You'll do great!!

    6/29/2006 7:49 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. As for blogging, you write it and I'll read it. No pressure for when, though.

    6/29/2006 9:07 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Congrats and good luck with your first day. Also, could you refrain from showing us so many pictures of the beautiful scenery and weather? Us stuck in New England would rather not know. ;)

    6/29/2006 9:46 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Have a great first day!!! How blessed are your patients to have someone with that great smile and compassionate heart walk into their rooms!

    6/29/2006 10:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Best wishes on the job! Blog when you can, knit when you can/need to. I made the ladybug sweater for a cousin's baby- so cute!

    6/29/2006 10:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, GOOD LUCK! That will be me next year, so I'll be scouring your posts for words of wisdom on internship and knitting! :o) Isn't Torrey Pines just goregous??

    6/29/2006 12:12 PM  
    Blogger GamecockDoc said...

    Good luck! I'll be on Q4 for the next month too and not really looking forward to it. Hope you find some time for knitting and sleeping!

    6/29/2006 2:48 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Good Luck! We will be here with you! And please, for me, sleep before blog is the order of importance! :)

    6/29/2006 7:28 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    good luck - I will be keeping a very "doctorly" thought for you and hope/hoped that your first set of patients are/were kind. It's great to watch you doing this knowing that I'll be in similar shoes next year!

    6/29/2006 8:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sleep is more important than blogging. You'll be fine. Remember that everyone feels terror at some and many points.

    6/30/2006 6:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Terri, I join your dad. You make us all proud and are quite an inspiration to those younger cousins. You are going to be great as long as you remember that the body is still a huge mystery and not everyone can/or should be cured. Promise me that you will be good at pain management.Pain is pain and noone gains any grace by suffering it. Also promise me that you will be kind to yourself. Humans make mistakes and that is how we all learn. Thinking of you often and remember to talk slow to the older people, when you talk fast, it is sometimes hard to hear and comprehend. Love you, Terri, I love the pictures of California. Aunt Carol

    6/30/2006 11:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't believe you are a Doctor AND a knitter. That is just so cool. Have a great first weekend. Good luck!

    6/30/2006 2:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blog when you can, Theresa. We'll still be here waiting for your knits and your wit! =)

    6/30/2006 7:29 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Post when you can, but don't stint yourself. I know you won't stint your patients or your work. (or your knitting). Lefe gets hectic now and then. Enjoy.

    6/30/2006 7:35 PM  
    Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

    Congratulations! You'll shine like the star you are, and you certainly don't need any luck. Get rest when you can - your readers will be here, whenever you have a moment.

    Cheers!

    7/01/2006 12:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We'll take all the posts we can get. I'm not nearly as busy as you and I only manage one or two a week. Good luck with your internship. It's been a long time coming, huh? Now you're really and truly a doctor!
    Dorothy (Missouri Star)
    dswaite@mac.com

    7/01/2006 2:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home