Saturday, June 17, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Excuses, Excuses

    Don't worry about the world ending today;
    it's already tomorrow in Australia.
    -Charles Schultz

    I'm in love. With the cable guy who fixed our internet this morning (don't forget - it's still morning in San Diego). With San Diego. With sunshine. And with my shawl. For the three of you who haven't noticed, I started intern orientation this week - it's basically a fascinating combination of paperwork, shots (ouch!), and nighttime fun, all of which precludes knitting. But I did do a great deal of knitting last weekend on my way to and from D.C., aided by the ever-thoughtful American Airlines who gave me a 3-hour delay in O'Hare. Quality knitting time. Aren't they sweet?

    So, this is the Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks. It is my (first) Amazing Lace entry. And it is getting tantalizing close to the end. . . but it turns out that the patterning changes a bit at the end. Combined with a pattern change and a chart change, I had some minor issues. Can you see it above?Look dead center in the photo. There's a mistake in about 3 rows where that center st st section is supposed to look tree-like, and here it looks half-tree-like. See it?

    I realized this after I got the hang of the new chart - basically there's a shift of 1-3 sts leftwards in a few rows. It's minor, basically a matter of emphasis rather than a dramatic alteration in the pattern. Probably due to the the fact that I never
    a) use stitch markers except to mark the center
    b) use a lifeline (GASP!)
    Now, if I was using a lifeline, I might be inclined to pull back and fix it. But since I'm not, and I didn't notice it for 10 more (long) rows, and it is pretty minor, and I think it's not particularly noticeable . . . (are these enough justifications and excuses for you, or do I need more?) . . . I'm leaving it be. Live and learn. For my next Peacock Feathers Shawl (don't laugh, I'm seriously thinking of making one right after this one in the blue Tencel from Webs) I'll know better.

    Turns out I might not be as much of a perfectionist as I thought.

    10 Comments:

    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I am glad that you got internet! I am relying on other people's unsecure networks and it is not the most reliable method for posting.

    6/17/2006 11:11 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Oh no! Not a mistake! I think there might be one in Leaf Lace too, but I'm ignoring it. If I can't find it, I don't think it's too noticeable!
    And how nice of AA to give you so much knitting time! And in O'Hare - one of our country's most notorious airports for layovers. I've been stranded there for hours myself, many times.
    Glad you're back among the connected!

    6/17/2006 11:52 AM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    Theresa, I am also doing the Peacock Feathers pattern. How long did it take you to ge used to the fact that you have to reverse everything for the second half of the row? 30+ rows into it, I still have to think about the reverses each and every time.

    6/17/2006 2:47 PM  
    Blogger Sonya said...

    Sounds like adequate rationalization to me. Forward motion! My husband and I sided our house and built 3 decks a couple of years ago. Any mistake was met with, "Can you see it from the road? Then move on!"

    6/17/2006 2:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sure sign of maturity. The ability to accept and move on. Still immature (or with OCD, you decide) it would bug the he** out of me until I fixed it!

    Good for you!

    6/17/2006 6:11 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I agree with you about that mistake. I made one in my Orangina. It didn't affect my stitch count or my rows in pattern, so it's staying. I think its kinda cute :-)

    By the way, I sent you an email about the correct info for the knit salon!!

    6/17/2006 6:41 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I made a very similar mistake! I don't use markers or lifelines either. I agonized over ripping and decided to live with my mistake. It looks more like a design element than a mistake and I can life with it. But I'm hoping not to make the same mistake on this one.
    Dorothy (Missouri Star)
    dswaite@mac.cdom

    6/18/2006 8:12 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Ok, I have a hard time seeing the mistake, if that helps. :)

    6/18/2006 12:46 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Hey - it just looks beautiful from here!

    Flying without a lifeline, - you are a thrill-seeker!

    6/18/2006 2:55 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So I ask you, are real trees exactly symmetrical? Exactly.

    I think it's looking gorgeous. Is it a fun knit? I think it would be look amazing in that WEBS blue. I loooved that color.

    6/18/2006 6:16 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home