Wednesday, June 14, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Getting There . . .

    The principle goal of education is to create men who are capable of doing new things, not simply of repeating what other generations have done - men who are creative, inventive, and discoverers.
    -Jean Piaget

    Still closing in on 100, here are Socks Number 97 and 98. The Fancy Silk Stockings I finished in Providence, and just sent off for the Sock Yarn Addicts Club swap. Number 98 I finished as we were driving into San Diego on Monday morning - talk about timing!

    Fancy Silk Stockings
    Pattern: Fancy Silk Stockings from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
    Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, Miata colorway, won in a contest on Leah's blog
    Needles: US 1 bamboo dpns
    Notes: 1) I did an eye of partridge heel instead of heel stitch. Otherwise I followed the pattern. 2) This was the April/May sock for the Knitting Vintage Socks Knitalong. And it's still May.
    Best Thing About This Project: Did you note the phenomenal yardage of the Lorna's Laces? Very impressive.

    Summer Stripe Socks
    Pattern: simple st st on 64 sts with a picot hem, short row heels and a regular toe
    Yarn: Regia Cotton, from The Great German Sock Yarn Stash Enhancement of 2006
    Needles: bamboo US 1 dpns
    Notes: Love the picot hem. And I was feeling so inspired (at the time) about those short-row heels, but then I remembered - I hate the way they fit. Why do I always remember too late? On another note, check out the photo on packing material. We're running a special on cardboard, since I think we have enough empty boxes to climb to the moon at the moment.
    Best Thing About This Project: Finishing these cotton-blend sassy summery stripey socks just as we crossed the San Diego county line. How perfect is that?

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Emma said...

    Both pairs look great! Love the LL colors, and the picot edge as well.

    6/14/2006 12:53 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Ok - I just realized I typed
    EXACTLY the same thing as emma - so , ditto!!

    6/14/2006 1:21 PM  
    Blogger Jenna said...

    That eye of partridge heel looks great!

    6/14/2006 1:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    love them both! the fancy silk stockings are on my (way-too-long) list of future socks to knit.

    yours are great!

    6/14/2006 3:21 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Lovely new socks! So glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the short row heel. Good luck (belatedly) on your first day!

    6/14/2006 4:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! Glad to see the Miata knit up. You did that gorgeous colorway justice!

    Had you not knit with LL before? I've always been so impressed with the yardage, thus my HUGE stash of Shepherd Sock!

    6/14/2006 6:01 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    The socks look great!

    6/14/2006 6:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I should count how many pairs of socks I've done, but I know it's not even close to 100! I love the picot hem too and have just finished my first one (just the hem, not the sock). I'm a little worried about how it's going to fit. Do the socks stay up ok without ribbing?
    Dorothy (Missouri Star)
    dswaite@mac.com

    6/15/2006 6:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really love both pairs, they look so fantastic - the picot hem on the Summer Stripe Socks is so gorgeous! Great job - and mind you, I'm deeply impressed by the sheer amount of your socks!

    6/15/2006 11:26 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Wow! You turn out an incredible amount of FINISHED projects!

    Love the socks!

    6/17/2006 11:38 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home