Monday, June 12, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Road Trip, Part Two

    What makes a desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.
    -Antoine de St-Exupery

    There are two photographs in this post. Together, they pretty much sum up the rest of the drive from Ft. Worth to San Diego. (Actually, if we're going to be technical, the photo on the left has too many trees for the Southwest. I think it's from Tennessee. But you get the idea, right?) The landscape west of Ft. Worth was almost entirely like that seen out the car window below. 1400 miles. Of that.

    Our National Parks are a treasure.
    I did a lot of knitting.

    Total distance covered: 3242 miles
    Miles I drove (approx): 1621
    Miles I knit (approx): 1621
    Chart I reached on the shawl: end of 5 (end of row 156)
    Number of rows I've knit on the shawl in San Diego: 2
    Number of stitches added each RS row: 4
    Number of stitches that seem to be added each RS row: 400

    After my first cross-country road trip, my college roommate and I developed a saying: "I've seen the entire country. It's about the size of my windshield."

    9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your shawl is beautiful! I've enjoyed reading about your road trip, and I'm so glad you found the rest of your stuff.

    Good luck with the new position on Wednesday!

    6/12/2006 7:38 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Our favorite road trip/girl trip saying, especially when we're wanting to act particularly dorky, i.e. taking pictures of your knitting in public places... "eh, we'll never see these people again."

    6/12/2006 8:11 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    As a child of the wild-open spaces, I still remember what it was like to hit Wyoming after a year on the east coast -- something in your heart relaxes with all that horizon. That said, I've never driven the southern route west. Deserts are an acquired taste ;-)

    6/12/2006 10:28 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I was a kid living in San Diego, if we had to drive east, we always set out about 11 at night so we could drive through the desert at night. The bottom pic shows why!

    The shawl is looking fabulous!

    6/12/2006 10:53 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    It sounds like you had a fabulous trip.

    6/12/2006 11:12 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I guess we'll be coming up with our pithy sayings about road trips soon! The shawl looks beautiful. I wish my own lace project were coming along as nicely.

    6/12/2006 1:00 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Didn't I warn you that West Texas was boring? :) It's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Actually, watching paint dry might be more exciting.

    6/12/2006 3:44 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Was Texas as boring as Ohio?

    Dr. Terri starts work tomorrow! Hurray, and best of... well, I don't know what you say to doctors. Probably not "break a leg," ala theater. Hm.

    6/13/2006 9:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a great saying! 100 years from now, some young blogger (or whatever they're doing then) will have a thing where she starts every post with a quote, and she'll be writing about a road trip, and she'll quote you. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

    6/18/2006 6:03 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home