Friday, May 26, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Yarn.com

    Bankers know that history is inflationary and that
    money is the last thing a wise man will hoard.
    -Will Durant

    There's a reason that the WEBS website is www.yarn.com. This place has a lot of yarn. A lot. Of. Yarn. Last weekend, Rachel and I took a little trip to their annual tent sale.It was a lovely day.* I'm pretty pleased with the yarn I have. Want to see?
    (That's mine and Rachel's together.) Bags and bags of yarn.

    Top: Casablanca, a ribbon yarn. For MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle
    Left middle: Saucy. Something summery.
    Right middle: Madil Merino Mix, 50% merino, 50% acrylic. 10 100g skeins. For $15. Incredible, and, with the acrylic, might even work for the NewCaliforniaLifestyle.
    Bottom: Jo Sharp Soho Summer, DK cotton, 2 bags of navy and one of white. There's a twin set in here. Plus at least 2 tanks or short-sleeved sweaters. This is a lot of yarn.

    Last, but certainly not least, I got some cones. I got a 1-lb. cone of grey Shetland wool, a lace-to-fingering weight for $5. (Not pictured.) On your right is a close-up of a wool-silk blend. Incredibly luminous in the sunlight. Gorgeous. Huge cone. Rachel got one in burgundy and we're going to split them. The two cones below are both Tencel. One in Coral. One in Turquoise. I'm going to make lace. I like lace. . . . And I now have enough cones of lace yarn for about three decades of contiunous lace knitting. Maybe more. You never know when there will be a yarn famine, right?
    All in all, a great trip. Although we all might question the wisdom of so much yarn buying after my movers have come and gone with all my stuff. I guess we'll have to find a spare corner of the trunk for this.

    *Rachel has since discovered some irregular fading in some of her yarn, which is very upsetting. I'll let her tell you all about it.

    17 Comments:

    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Great haul!

    5/26/2006 6:53 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    I bet Felix is feeling like he's really come into his own... as the "official mover of yarny goodness!"

    Yarn famine.... may it never come to pass. Oh, the horror.

    5/26/2006 6:57 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    I hope this yarn binge does not mean you will be averse to a yarn excursion tomorrow. I need my yarn yoda to guide me to the perfect lace for my snowdrop shawl.

    5/26/2006 8:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Terri, No mention of your big times this weekend. You should be screaming from the roof--forget the yarn deals for now. All, send Congrats. Terri is graduating from Brown Medical school this weekend. I am sure one of the top of her class. We are all beyond proud of you and ALL that yu are able to accomplish. Glow. Brag. You are a hard worker and earned it. Sorry I will not be in the crowd to cheer. Love, Aunt Carol

    5/26/2006 9:35 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Congratulations! Great job!

    About the yarn, I'll have more to say about folks who hoard later ;-)

    5/26/2006 10:35 AM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    Oooooh, all that yarn is making me light-headed!!! I can't believe I STILL haven't gotten around to making the trip to WEBS. Soon . . . very soon.

    5/26/2006 10:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wait, is there a yarn shopping excursion in Providence planned for Saturday? I need some ivory cotton yarn for one of my The Amazing Lace teammates! Dark pink and light pink make OK stripes, but a little white will really make it pop!

    I'm very jealous of the yarn haul! I regret that I never got to WEBS and I will now be moving very far away, but realistically any more yarn for future projects would be a nuisance to move. We have way more furniture and stuff than you do (and sadly less room yarn)!

    5/26/2006 11:49 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    Where was that quiet dark place you went to sit? Me thinks you contemplated purchasing . . . .

    Wendy

    5/26/2006 12:18 PM  
    Blogger cindy said...

    Leave no cone of yarn unturned!!!

    5/26/2006 12:53 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Quite a bounty! Good luck fitting it inside Felix!

    5/26/2006 1:44 PM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    Yay for yarn! Glad you had a good time, and got to put Felix to a truly noble use. Congratulations, also, on graduation! That's quite an achievement. (my favorite part was the parade -- it's way more fun/cooler in person than it sounds)

    5/26/2006 1:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice haul!
    Hey, you need yarn for the trip.

    5/26/2006 1:59 PM  
    Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

    WOW! You girls had fun! Until I read your notes on what will suit you in California, my small brain had forgotten that WOOL! is not necessary in your new home. Never lived anywhere with warm, warm winters, so just forgot that some folks do. I think you will have lots of yarn for projects until 2010 at least!

    5/26/2006 2:28 PM  
    Blogger Rebekkah said...

    Whoo! Wish I could have been there to participate in the WEBS-o-rama. (Have to admit, I'm bummed that you're moving away from New England so soon after I found your great blog. It would have been fun to have a New England blogger get-together at Webs, or some other wool-yummy place.)

    I wonder if Rachel's yarn can be saved by over-dyeing? hmm...

    5/26/2006 5:30 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    I read Rachel's sad tale. :(

    Fabulous stuff!

    5/26/2006 9:03 PM  
    Blogger Marsha said...

    Can I just say how JEALOUS I am of this shopping trip, ggeeessshhhh!

    5/28/2006 5:56 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    At last I have arrived at the Knitting Underway subscription in my Bloglines and can catch up on all the comments I owe you. First, sorry about the whining in my WEBS post compared to yours, especially since it was a really fun trip. And I LOVE that blue Tencel you got -- it literally feels good to look at it.

    I'm just sorry we won't be able to make it an annual trip. :(

    6/05/2006 2:09 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home