Friday, May 12, 2006

  • Main Page
  • The Guild Hall

    To gild refined gold, to paint the lily . . .
    -William Shakespeare, King John


    I don't know about you, but when I think of guilds, I think of medieval times, the Burghers of Calais, and - for some unexplicable reason - big heavy beer steins. The reality couldn't be further from the truth.

    Meet the Ocean State Knitting and Crochet Guild: In a chain of events that began with the Knitting Olympics and Team College Hill's fifteen minutes of fame in the Providence Journal, we were invited to attend the guild's monthly meeting last night.

    We spoke about our very (in)sane approach to competitive knitting-as-sport. Katja (on your right) had to represent both herself and Leah as the knitters of Ene's Scarf, since Leah just couldn't make it back from Paris in time. Tragic, really. Rachel and I wowed scared them with our plans for The Amazing Lace. (Over 220 participants to date - sometimes it scares me, too.) One of the many joys of meeting a group in person is the back-and-forth, give-and-take; we got to answer questions in real time, as opposed to the several-days delay that can happen in blogland.

    One of the other joys is getting to fondle others' projects. We met knitters who don't have blogs (incredible, isn't it?), which was a new and exciting experience. Since this is Rhode Island, however, we quickly established about two degrees of separation. Of course, we met also knitters with blogs. Am I the last person to learn that Judy (on your left) has a farm? And here I was jealous that she was just back from Maryland Sheep and Wool. I learned that Kristen is as lovely in real life as she is on her blog, and Cindy convinced me that a linen shawl is in my future. This is a summer of lace, is it not? I hope I didn't miss any blogs, but let me know if I did.

    Last, but certainly not least, the guild gave us lovely knitterly gifts. Can you believe that these are the first decorative stitch markers I've ever owned? Me neither.

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    How great that you got to go and meet more knitters. Judy is fantastic and Cindy is, too.

    5/12/2006 6:58 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I am glad your talk went well!

    5/12/2006 7:04 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A good time was indeed had by all. The gift baskets have me somewhat concerned, though -- I don't think even I could suffer through an all-stockinette sock with solid-color yarn -- does this mean lacy patterns are unavoidable for me??

    5/12/2006 7:56 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    There's that Ene again -- so tempting to do again with the summer of lace underway!

    I had one set of decorative stitch markers - lost, all of them, slippery little buggers.

    W

    5/12/2006 8:14 AM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    The meeting looks like it was fun - did you recruit anyone for the Amazing Lace?

    5/12/2006 9:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That looks like so much fun!!

    5/12/2006 10:27 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Fun! And how sweet to give y'all goodie baskets!

    5/12/2006 12:56 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I didn't want to peek at your blog until I had blogged! Thanks so much for joining us- it was a lot of fun to meet the talented Olympians. My hands are aching at just the thought of your Am Kamin marathon sessions, but I see that it was so worth it!

    5/12/2006 5:12 PM  
    Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

    How cool, you're famous!!! I never knew the Ocean State had a guild. even cooler!

    5/13/2006 1:34 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Those goodie baskets are fun!

    Oh yeah, the linen shawls I've seen have been amazing... someday...

    5/13/2006 7:55 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home