Thursday, May 04, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Lace Scavenger Hunt

    It is difficult to see why lace should be so expensive; it is mostly holes.
    -Mary Wilson Little

    This is a week when all the stars align and the gods are with me. The fabulous and successful launch of The Amazing Lace turns out to have heralded a week of lace. On that very day, my Fiddlesticks order came and Knitting Beyond the Hebrides began their Online Symposium on Lace. (Great resource - check it out.)

    The symposium involves a photo scavenger hunt, and I thought it would get us all in the mood, so to speak, so I'm posting it here as well. I've tried whenever possible to post links to actual blogs (knitters in parentheses) rather than the pattern sites so you can have more fun surfing - Enjoy!
    1. Lace knit in variegated yarn: Ene's Scarf (Knitting Brownies - my Knitting Olympics teammates have finally started a blog); my version below

    2. A wedding ring lace shawl: Misty Morning Shawl (Grumperina)

    3. An incomplete lace project: Fiddlesticks' Tina Shawl (sloth-knits); my Branching Out below

    4. A lace project that boggles your mind: Sharon Miller's Princess Shawl (The Princess Diaries)

    5. An animal modeling lace: Handknitted Lace Dog Sweater

    6. Lace with ruffles: Fiddlesticks' Flirty Ruffles Shawl (tricofolk - note: I do not speak this language - French?)

    7. Lace knit with chunky yarn: Bulky Lace Scarf (spiderwomanknits)

    8. Socks with lace: Elfine Socks (twinknit); my Little Arrowhead Lace socks on the right

    9. The most amazing lace you've ever seen: Amedro Christening Set (Jean Miles)

    10. The shawl you would wear to a wedding: Silvia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl (Cara at January One, conveniently on her way to a wedding)

    11. The shawl you would wear to a nightclub: River with beaded thing (sweetgeorgia)

    12. A bride wearing knit lace: Birch (Fig and Plum), and for extra credit: June Oshiro's Wedding Veil

    13. A lace item that floats: Debbie New's lace boat

    14. A man wearing lace: Jefferson Davis (political cartoon courtesy of the Library of Congress)

    15. Lace in a painting: Lace Boat #1

    16. Unblocked lace: Circular Shawl (fruitcakeknits)

    17. Lace with an animal design: Fiddlesticks' Inky Dinky Spider Stole (Wendy Johnson)

    18. Lace with a flower design: Forest Path Stole (alisonknits)

    19. Lace that looks easy: Quick Lace Scarf (keyboard biologist)

    20. Lace that looks difficult: Hazel Carter's Alcazar (Kim Salazar)

    21. Lace project that you want to start RIGHT NOW: Fiddlesticks' Peacock Shawl (xntrick on crafster) - this is my The Amazing Lace project

    22. Lace with fringe: Fiber Trends' Faina Scarf (Catherine Knits)

    23. Blue lace: Scribble Lace (Mason-Dixon Ann)

    24. Lace in a garden: Highland Triangle Shawl (Wendy, Knit and the City); my Rose Trellis Stole below

    25. Lace with a shawl pin: Charlotte's Web with shawl pin (And She Knits, Too!)

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Marina said...

    Whoah, you're way too quick! Thanks for all the interesting links.

    Hasn't the cute, red machine arrived?

    5/04/2006 4:51 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    What fun!

    5/04/2006 5:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great hunt! Thanks for the link! (kind of worked out perfectly no? ;) )

    Oh and congrats on the car!! I don't think ours has even left Sweden yet. Bummer.

    5/04/2006 5:43 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Ok... you're beginning to inspire me to dig the Flower Basket Shawl out and give it another go. I think I can, I think I can....

    5/04/2006 6:56 AM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    you're so nice! thanks for linking to my elfines :) this is such a fun game... it's a great way to get a look at other people's work (and a good way to get ideas for the amazing lace...)

    5/04/2006 7:04 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    Thanks for that! And, yes, you had answered my question about knitting a patch and grafting it on . . . but better to answer twice than not to answer at all.

    5/04/2006 8:53 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Ughhhh! I just finished finding all 25 of the items for the scavenger hunt and now see that I've duplicated some of yours!!! I'm submitting them anyway....I'm done in!

    5/04/2006 9:25 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Ooh, scavenger hunt. What fun! How can I create a scavenger hunt on a romance novel blog? Any ideas, please send them my way.

    Just finished job interview. Really want job. Keep me in your thoughts!

    5/04/2006 9:39 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Awesome links! Lace is so darn addictive. It's so purty.

    5/04/2006 3:49 PM  
    Blogger Pat K said...

    Thanks for all the great links. How inspiring!

    5/04/2006 4:33 PM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    My head is spinning, and my Maryland Sheep and Wool list is growing, uch - thanks!

    Wendy

    5/05/2006 12:20 PM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    Holy cow - that lace is beyond amazing! I am so inspired. Hopefully I will be able to achieve something that sorta kinda resembles lace during the Amazing Lace.

    5/05/2006 5:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for all the lace links! I'm in awe!

    5/06/2006 4:40 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Wow, you must be wicked good with the google! Fun list and links.

    5/10/2006 3:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home