Wednesday, March 22, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Topsy Turvey

    Each time I see the Upside-Down Man
    Standing in the water,
    I look at him and start to laugh,
    Although I shouldn't oughtter.
    For maybe in another world,
    Another time
    Another town,
    Maybe HE is right side up
    And I am upside down.
    -Shel Silverstein, "Reflection"

    In one of the heady early days of Team College Hill, when we had just met Rachel and we were knitting furiously, giddily, with a single common purpose (and chocolate), before our illusions were shattered by the trauma of Cutting Edge 2: Going for the Gold, way back in February, Rachel and I talked socks.

    She's making her second pair now (in the Gryffindor sock yarn - I am so jealous! It's sold out everytime I try. See the "0" available?), and back in the day she asked me how I made my socks. I was very clear: top down, heel flap, French (half-handkerchief) heel, wide toe. Minimal variation for the occasional historically-accurate version in a Nancy Bush pattern, but that was it.

    Meet the socks that turned my world upside down:
    Little Arrowhead Lace Socks
    Pattern: Little Arrowhead Lace Pattern, by Nancy Bush (free online)
    Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino in pink varigated
    Needles: Brittany Birch US 3 dpns
    Notes: I changed the top to a picot hem, the heel to a short row heel, and then, because I was sitting in a history lecture and feeling extra-spicy, I did my first-ever short row toe. Awesome.
    Best Thing About This Project: Do you think Susan likes them? I'd say so.

    Check out the cute cute grafting along the toe:

    I love grafting. It boggles the mind that I can sew a row of knitting. And it works. (And I love the macro funciton on my camera. How cool is that?)

    But I do have a problem:
    What's up with this hem? (And every other hem of my recent provenance?) Why does it stick out at a funny angle perpendicular from the sock? I thought it would get better with blocking, but it didn't fix it all the way.

    Anyone with experience with hems - of any sort - please help. I'm in the middle of a major life change (with regards to sock knitting), and I can't do it alone.

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Jenni said...

    The socks are beautiful!

    3/22/2006 6:19 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Don't know what you're talking about. They're gorgeous!

    3/22/2006 6:34 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Lovely socks! While I was grafting up the toe of my sock yesterday I was thinking the same thing! After the turn of the heel, the sewing up of the toe is the best part of the sock - magic!

    3/22/2006 6:51 PM  
    Blogger Susan said...

    I LOVE my socks! I've been wearing them and I took them to Guild to show them off and I'll be taking them to the Knitty Committee on Saturday to show them off.

    Thank you so much!!!

    I LOVE MY SOCKS! (Which I have named T-Arrow or Tiara) Do others name their socks?

    3/22/2006 8:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have had that problem with hems flaring out - somebody told me recently to knit the inside part of the hem with needles one size smaller than the outside - that will pull the hem in enough to eliminate this problem. your socks are lovely - your hem flare is not serious enough to frog - just try it the next time!

    3/22/2006 9:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    At the risk of acknowledging yet again that you are an infinitely more advanced and observant knitter than I am, I really can't see any problem with those lovely socks. The hem looks perfectly natural to me.

    I'll let you wear my Gryffindor socks sometime if you'll let me wear Am Kamin. :)

    3/23/2006 6:06 AM  
    Blogger sheep#100 said...

    Pretty!!!

    I saw the Gryffindor yarn, too, over on Etsy - looks nice!

    3/23/2006 6:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Socks look great! You really crank those things out. :)

    3/23/2006 6:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'll give you my firstborn if you'll let me wear Am Kamin someday! Of course, he's 30 and married and may have something to say about that. I don't see a problem with the socks either. And you did a short row toe during history lecture? Were you paying attention? I can barely watch TV and do a short row. Dorothy
    http://www.missouristar.typepad.com
    dswaite@mac.com

    3/23/2006 7:12 AM  
    Blogger kate said...

    That's why I don't "do" hems or picot edges - they always look frigged up when I try. Yours doesn't look bad, though. Maybe it will flatten with wearing and washing?

    3/23/2006 7:45 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Such pretty socks. Now, you have got to try toe-up socks; you may become a convert!

    3/23/2006 4:41 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home