Sunday, March 19, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Still Knitting Along

    I have always let friendship lapse into well-wishing acquaintanceship when there is a dailure to observe that certain things should be hot - as tea, coffee, curry, most dinner plates, sitting-room fires, heating pipes in winter, and especially bath water.
    -Doris Langley More, Pleasures


    And this week, we have a new and exciting knit along to add to the list - check the bottom! With Doris Langley More (British socialite, early 20th c.), I believe that certain things should be hot enough to grab your attention, and knitalongs fall into that category for me. I love seeing all the Project Spectrum stuff around blogland (and everything I'm currently knitting is either red or pink), but color isn't my game, so to speak, so I'm sitting that one out.

    And with that editorial comment, here's the weekly-ish knitalong update:

    Stashalong
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    I have some new stash projects this week - my Branching Out for Purls of Love and some hats you'll see tomorrow. I'm determined that my stash will at least LOOK smaller by the end of these three months of not buying yarn. . . although I love Lynda's suggestion that if we want new stash without buying new yarn, maybe we should lay down a nice blanket in front of the fire, open a good bottle of wine, and look for interesting merino-silk or mohair-cotton blended offspring.

    Count Your Socks
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Add one more to my tally! I finished my 92nd pair of socks last week, but now that they've reached their destination I can blog about them. For now, you can see them at Susan's blog. I'll do an FO post this week.

    Knit the Classics
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Reading: Yann Martel's Life of Pi. This may come to Europe with me next week, because I don't think it's happening before then. Or maybe I should skip ahead to Moll Flanders for April? With so much history reading (3+ books a week), I'm clearly having trouble keeping up with this knitalong at the moment.
    Knitting: I'll come up with a project when I start reading.

    Sockapaloooza
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    I changed my pattern to the Chalet Socks from Folk Socks. I even have a photo, just for Stephanie, who really really wants a pair of her own. That would be sock one on your right. Since then, I've actually turned the heel, so it's progressing. No hurry; I have until May.

    Sock Yarn Addicts Club

    Here's my newest knitalong. So new it doesn't even start until April 1st. It's a support group of sorts for those of us with a little, er, problem with sock yarn. I've heard rumors that some of us (not naming any names, of course) have enough sock yarn to knit more than 30 pairs of socks. Or maybe have 6 socks on the needles simultaneously. I, um, er, don't know anyone like that. She'd be really weird, wouldn't she? The best part is that I'm going to be in the mecca of all sock yarn - Germany - the last week of March. Is it wrong to stock up on more sock yarn before starting a sock yarn reduction project?

    11 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No- not wrong! Get me some too!

    3/19/2006 7:07 AM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    No more wrong than me writing a friend who lives in Germany and asking her to send me sock yarn. - Not that I've ever done that.

    3/19/2006 7:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't think you wrong. In fact that's what I did. I stocked up on more sock yarn in anticipation of the SYAC knitalong starting. And if I was going to Germany and they supply so much sock yarn, how can you not buy sock yarn. It would be a crime to NOT buy the yarn.

    3/19/2006 7:39 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I agree - you must buy sock yarn when you are at the mecca! It would be a crime not to!

    3/19/2006 7:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wrong? I would call it cosmic coincidence that cannot be ignored. The fates knew that you would be committing yourself to a sock yarn reduction program, so they made arrangements for you to visit Germany in advance to stock up. You just can't ignore what the fates are clearly telling you to do.

    3/19/2006 8:02 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Some one has 6 PAIRS OF SOCKS ON NEEDLES?!?!?!? I am so totally impressed.

    And I love my socks. They fit perfectly and I'm wearing them to our Guild meeting today to show them off.

    BUY MORE SOCK YARN - YOU NEED IT!!!

    3/19/2006 8:07 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    What awful timing! You should stock up on sock yarn before April 1st but then you'll be thrown out of StashAlong.

    Interesting to see what you'll do.

    3/19/2006 8:50 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You better stock up then, because Abigail to a strict warden and will be watching us closely after April 1st.

    She has already put me on notice! Me!
    The queen of sock yarn stashage!

    3/19/2006 10:46 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    It's not wrong, it's prudent.

    Don't skip Life of Pi if you can help it. It wasn't the most fabulous book I've ever read but it was thought provoking, the imagery is colorful and it's not something I would have ever picked up on my own, but I did enjoy it.

    And now I feel compelled to cast on a pair of socks. Possibly finish the 2nd sock, once I rip back the messed up heel flap. I'm mad at it and I'm waiting for it to fix itself.

    3/19/2006 1:38 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Heh, I have so much more than 30 pairs worth... But I didn't hear about the club until after membership closed. Oh well, based on my Stashalong performance.... But you MUST stock up on lovely German sock yarn. It would be a crime not to. Really.

    I love that Chalet sock.

    3/19/2006 4:40 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    I would most certainly buy German sock yarn while you are there. Though I think that might be a little like an alcoholic going on a real bender the day before he's due to check in to rehab.

    3/20/2006 9:08 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home