Sunday, April 23, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Link Party

    Never give a party if you will be the most interesting person there.
    -Mickey Friedman

    My weekend plan:
    • Final edits to a paper headed to the publication committee Thursday
    • A draft of a second paper
    My weekend reality:
    • Check out the progress on Rogue. Last time you saw her, ages and ages ago, there were sleeves and a little of the body. Now we're cruising along on the hood:
    • A phenomenally good time with the knitting and blogging folk. I'll try to recreate my party in links:
    I caught up with the Yarn Harlot book tour in Grafton on Friday and discovered that standing room only has an advantage - you can mix and mingle with more people. It was like a (very crowded) cocktail party.

    Kristen, the eponymous Med Student Who Knits, and I had big plans to meet up earlier and talk med students who knit talk, but the biggest plans are no match for Boston-area traffic accidents. Thus I discovered a new axiom: The good friends are the kind who, if they're going to leave you waiting, make sure it's a yarn shop.

    I knew that SilverArrowKnits was going to be there, and for show-and-tell she brought not only her Christmas stocking in progress, but also her friend E, who casually waits in line knitting a shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting. Fiddlesticks! In line! I knew I'd see Monica again, but her spin-dye-knit Knitting Olympics scarf was a great surprise - the softness is hard to portray through the monitor. Met a (blogless) high school student who managed to study physics from a textbook while standing up - impressive feats of endurance and balance. While waiting I met Elizabeth and a whole bunch of other fantastic knitters in line.

    After the craziness, Laurie helped Kristen and I find each other between the piles of yarn, and all was good.* Not only because Kristen gave me gifts (me! gifts! yarn!) . . .
    (Online, since we met online, and Trekking XXL for my x-country trip,
    and one of Oprah's favorite moon pies from Maine)

    . . . but also because she invited me along to dinner with the crew (including Stephanie herself) and introduced me to a whole bunch of people. People like Claudia (yes, THAT Claudia) (who gave me zipper advice), Sandy (who made me laugh), Morici (who gave me directions. that worked.), and plenty of other people whose names I can't remember. Oh, and I also met Kate. Go over to her blog and convince her that there's no better time to start Am Kamin. Seriously.

    It was good times all around. Especially when Stephanie complimented my rose trellis stole. All of you who admired it are in great company.

    *So, as these things go, Kristen and I met in person for the first time at a Yarn Harlot book signing last spring, and she introduced me to Laurie then. We started talking about what kind of medicine I was going into, and I said something like, "Anything but anesthesia. I hate anesthesia." Not quite, but probably pretty close. Turns out, she is Etherknitter. An anesthesiologist. Of course. . . . and of course she remembers. But she still speaks to me, so that's good.

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Lynda said...

    I love the colors in your Trekking XXL - much more appealing than my crazy a** Trekking socks!

    4/23/2006 1:06 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I am totally and completely jealous.

    4/23/2006 1:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    a hood on rogue....(deep sigh here)...I really ought to dig out my needles and yarn and start on sleeves again. Especially given that my striped sweater is doomed to become small balls of yarn again.

    it was great to see you again - and though I am so very sorry for the timing mishaps I do believe that axiom is excellent. (I'll keep it in mind for the future...)

    4/23/2006 3:02 PM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    Wow, that was a virtual who's who of the knitting blogland! The fact that I read most of those already... I think it might mean I read to many...

    4/23/2006 3:05 PM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    You had dinner with the Yarn Harlot and the gang? That must have been great fun. I'm so impressed with your sock knitting accomplishments - make sure to post what will become pair #100.

    Your scarf inspired me to pick up some yarn for a lacy summer scarf - the pale green Royal Bamboo, near the end of the line. Yes, after perusing all of the yarn while we waited in line, I pick up the last thing I see. Hopefully it won't take too long to select a pattern.

    I enjoyed meeting you, and hope that getting ready to move goes smoothly.

    4/23/2006 3:28 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Oh, what a great weekend! :)

    4/23/2006 4:43 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    So. Envious. Dinner with the Yarn Harlot, who complimented your knitting, AND you're almost done with Rogue. So unfair. ;)

    4/23/2006 5:39 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Sounds like a fun weekend! And that axiom can only be modified by "....or a bookstore."

    4/23/2006 5:55 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    You did not tell me you had dinner with the Yarn Harlot! You will have to give me details of the event at a later date.

    4/23/2006 8:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the color of your Rogue :-)

    Sounds like you had a great time meeting the Harlot!

    This is my first visit to your blog.I'd love to hear how you like TKGA Master Knitter's course. I have been thinking about it...

    4/23/2006 9:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm living my knitting life vicariously through you! How close will you be to OKC when you go thru TX?

    4/24/2006 6:20 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And to think if I hadn't had stupid in-law obligations I could have been right there with you, swapping war stories with the region's knitbloggers!

    By the way, I don't know what Fiddlesticks Knitting is, but if YOU are astonished by someone able to knit it in line, I can't even conceive of its difficulty.

    4/24/2006 10:37 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I even have yarn to start Am Kamin right this second. I'm still sooooo intimidated by it though you have given me some hope. Thanks in advance for when I start hounding you for advice. So great to meet you!!!

    4/25/2006 3:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anesthesiologists, as they work with surgeons over time, develop very thick skins. No worries.

    But if you decide anesthesia is not for you, you can never tell someone that you pass gas for a living.

    4/25/2006 5:23 PM  
    Blogger amandamonkey said...

    Rogue is a great color. I'm working on the Sunrise Circle Jacket in a similar hue - after this depressing winter it's nice to bring out the fun colors!

    Good luck with writing - I have that same albatross. booooo.

    4/26/2006 5:50 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home