Wednesday, April 19, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Wednesdays are for Random

    Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto.
    I am human; nothing human is strange to me.
    -Terence

    Gorgeous and Lacy
    The Rose Trellis Stole is done, blocked, and life is good. It's stunning, and thus it deserves stunning photos in the sun with spring flowers. So entertain yourself with some other knitting randomness while you wait:

    Knitting Books
    Like the rest of the knitting blogosphere, I recently picked up my copies of the blogs-into-books. Some thoughts:
    • Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules: This woman is really funny. Seriously. There are some good stories in here, interspersed between all sorts of useful information on socks, hats, gauge (although she didn't seriously address the enemy that is row gauge), etc. Most of that info I have elsewhere (especially in the incomparable Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns and Handy Book of Sweater Patterns), but I can see it being useful for beginners. Mostly, I'm along for the stories.
    • Mason-Dixon Knitting: This book surprised me. It is fabulous. (I mean, I like the blog, but this book is way above and beyond.) First of all, it's production values are stellar. Professional-quality photographs of all sorts of bright and cheery knitting; great, somewhat-unusual projects; and a very "knitting is fun" approach. Plus, those square felted baskets? How well will they fit into MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle? Fabulous.
    Bumper Sticker
    Saw this on the back of a car on the Merritt Parkway the other day:

    Peace on Earth, Good Wool to Ewe

    Contest-Meme
    Kat has a great contest-meme: List 5 places you've knit other than your home, and tell her about it. Here are mine:
    1. The hospital. . . while on overnight call waiting for a patient to arrive by ambulance. A pair of self-striping socks.
    2. A Perri Klass lecture. Talk about a knitting doctor. A cabled sweater.
    3. Histology class first year of medical school. The FiberTrends Oak Leaf Lace socks still look like the thyroid gland to me. Every time I wear them. Four years later.
    4. Carhenge. Should you ever find yourself in Alliance, Nebraska, you must see this recreation of Stonehenge out of old cars. Baby hats, I believe.
    5. And, recently, the Volvo headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden. German-flag-striped socks. The red matches the red of my snazzy new car.

    10 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooh, will you bring Mason Dixon Knitting to our mini-stitch and bitch tonight? I'm dying to see it.

    I'm not very good at remembering what I was knitting on specific occasions the way you can. But when I look at a particular FO, I can CLEARLY remember where I was when I knit it -- it sort of transports me back in that way that happens if you smell the perfume you wore in 7th grade or something.

    Can't wait to see the stole!

    4/19/2006 6:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I second everything on MDK - they completely outdid themselves.

    You were in GOTHENBURG?! We're waiting for our new Volvo to be built as I write this! What did you get? OHMYGOD! I'm so jealous.

    4/19/2006 6:17 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    I love how you think the scarf looks like a thyroid gland! - too funny.... when I pick some old knitting my mind often snaps right back to what I was watching on TV while I was knitting it (about the only place I find a few minutes to knit anymore). Oh yeah, a few things remind me of the car, sitting in front of the school... usually socks.

    4/19/2006 6:48 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm anxious to see the finished stole.

    I can't figure out if you are knitting the Rose Trellis Stole, or another Rose Leaf Stole, or both.

    Either way, the rose being my favorite flower, I am looking forward to seeing, and possibly knitting either one.

    4/19/2006 7:12 AM  
    Blogger kat said...

    Oh i'd love to see Perri. i really liked her book

    4/19/2006 9:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love how you remember what you were knitting in these special places, and how it creates a memory!

    Oh, and a tip on TheNewCaliforniaLifestyle - sunscreen :)

    4/19/2006 9:23 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I agree too about MDK - it really is a great book. And your knitting places are much more interesting than mine! :)

    4/19/2006 1:35 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Great knitting places!

    That German striped sock yarn is on sale at Elann right now...

    4/19/2006 1:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished stole!

    4/19/2006 5:12 PM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    I just got the WendyKnits book tonight after loving MDK and Knitting Rules (I agree with you about her knitting tips--but I do like how she offers "recipes" instead of patterns.) I'm curious to see how Wendy's differs...

    4/20/2006 5:22 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home