Monday, April 17, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Ribby Choices, er, Cardi

    You are your choices. -Seneca

    Let's talk more about my Ribby Cardi. As soon as I decided to cast on, I remembered why I hadn't already. There were choices to be made. Choices that had nothing to do with a gauge swatch (which I quickly determined would be useless in this situtation - gauge swatches lie). Choices that had to be made before I even began. Like what size to make. Finally, after many sweaters, I've learned what size I am relative to what I should knit. It takes a while. At least three or four sweaters, for me. But even now that I've finally figured it out, there are curveballs: Ribbing. Unstretched? Stretched? A little stretched. Yeah, good, but how much is a little? You see the problem, right?

    I cast on for my "usual" size, knit four inches, and stretched and unstretched it (this can go on for hours), measuring measuring measuring. Still couldn't decide. I pulled out all of my cardigans, handknit and storebought, to measure them again. One was ribbed. It was 4 inches smaller around than all the non-ribbed cardigan. Then I held my four inches of knitting up to all the cardigans. Stretched. Unstretched. Hours.

    Then I ripped and cast on for the smaller size - with 1 inch of negative ease unstretched. I know I'm the last person in the entire world to make this, so will those of you who have weigh in on this? Does that seem right to you? Seems right to me, but it's still awfully easy to rip at this point.

    9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have no insight for you except that your reasoning sounds about right to me. You don't want positive ease because then the ribbing just looks lifeless, but too much and the wearer looks stuffed into the sweater. Don't take advice from me, though -- you're far more expert than I am.

    I will say I love your color choices! What yarn is that?

    4/17/2006 6:56 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Never mind, I read this post before your previous post. Good old Cascade 220. I have the same yarn in my stash that was purchased for this very project last year (different colors; I like yours better).

    4/17/2006 6:58 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I haven't made it yet, but I have the fiber and the pattern, and the plans to make it.

    Your reasoning sounds good to me!

    4/17/2006 8:17 AM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    I feel your pain. I wish I could offer help but I seem to go through ecactly what you described then usually end up knitting my "usual" size.

    4/17/2006 10:09 AM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    I would actually use more than 1" of negative ease. But, I hate loose baggy sweaters. I shoot for about 10%ish when I figure negative ease. JMHO. Good luck with Ribby Cardi

    4/17/2006 10:41 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    Dang, T, I was hoping for a blog entry on bocci.

    4/17/2006 11:30 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Oh dear. I have no idea!! Good luck?

    4/17/2006 7:19 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I made the same size as my bust (36), and it is snug without being too tight. I really think it depends on if you want it snug or loose. Good luck!

    4/17/2006 8:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have some of the most interesting challenges! It must be because you are a master knitter. I don't think I even know what negative ease is - lol.
    You never fail to amaze me!

    4/17/2006 8:52 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home