Saturday, April 08, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Groupie Greetings



    Joe: Dude, is she knitting?
    Derek: You know, as a friend, I gotta tell ya. You look a little weird.
    Meredith: I am making a sweater.
    Joe: You're knitting, in a bar. You can’t knit in a bar! You're scaring the customers.
    Grey's Anatomy. Season 2, Episode 22:
    "The Name of the Game"
    I may not have the slightest knitting ability, but I have plenty of amusing stories to tell about Theresa. And that, dear reader, is why I'm posting today.
    The thing is, Theresa and I did our undergraduate together. I used to sit next to her in our history lectures, discreetly reading romance novels while she knit elegant shawls (and while the entire freshman portion of the Brown football team stared at us incredulously). Theresa quickly became known as "that knitting girl" around our campus, something of a minor celebrity.
    The only time it ever got her into trouble was when she brought her knitting to the first film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. (Wooden needles, small sock project... very unobtrusive. But the driver involved in our little shindig was a Tolkien fanatic. He'd very carefully selected a "fellowship of nine" to accompany him to the movies, and he found the knitting disrespectful to what was probably the closest he's ever come to a religious experience.)
    Now I'm out in Seattle, pursuing a Masters in Teaching while keeping my blog and writing a romance novel. Every week I watch Grey's Anatomy and I fantasize about what it would be like if my medically-minded friends did their internships in Seattle... albeit at a real hospital, and not one where you could magically see the Pike Place market sign from outside the windows. Ah, Theresa, how lovely would that be to have you in my home state?
    So while I am not a knitter, I am a knitting groupie. I look forward to mitten weather every year so that I can wear Theresa's lovely creations (the latest having just been sent to me--thank you, T!) And despite the fact that she offers to teach me every time we see each other, I always resist. Why? Well, that's an easy one: if I learn to knit, Theresa might stop sending me so many lovely things!
    Other knitting blogs talking about Grey's this week include: Knit Lit, Knit Whit, and goodtobegirl. Amy, at goodtobegirl, has even made an "I Knit with Grey's" button for any of you who might be interested...

    7 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ha! I so loved that episode! What fun it would be if they kept it up. Great for stress relief!

    4/08/2006 8:06 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Oh, we need more details on the clash of sock knitter and Tolkien fanatic!

    4/08/2006 8:22 PM  
    Blogger Carrie said...

    Hi Kate! Thanks for linking to me!!
    The knitting episode of Grey's will stay on my TiVo for quite a while. Even though I know Izzie couldn't have knit a sweater in one day and have worn it for 3 hours, she did look like quite the knitter.

    I'm really enjoying Theresa's guest bloggers, keep it up!

    4/08/2006 9:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm, I've never watched Grey's Anatomy, but if they're doing hard core knitting on that show (in Seattle nonetheless, my dream city) perhaps it's time to grab a sock project and tune in!

    4/09/2006 5:45 AM  
    Blogger Theresa said...

    I so need to watch this episode - my parents taped it for me, I think. Right? Right? Thanks so much for posting, Kate. I was hoping to have photos of grand European travel and knitting last eve when I was safely home, but disaster in Dulles has left me stranded in suburban Virginia drafting long letters to airline customer service (lack thereof).

    4/10/2006 6:19 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Yo, Kate! I was going to post on this episode (sorry, T, I've been letting the side down).

    While I love Grey's, I resent their implication that knitting and vows of celibacy have anything to do with one another. But being someone who's knit in bars (during all sorts of sporting playoffs, no less) I can attest to the weird looks and comments one receives.

    4/10/2006 12:22 PM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    As I posted on dscrib, please see www.theschwizz.blogspot.com for a cogent analysis of why Grey's Anatomy was spawned by Satan. The post all the way at the bottom of the home page. p.s. - Flitgirl - "sporting playoffs"?? Ah HA HA HA HA.

    4/13/2006 6:54 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home