Tuesday, March 28, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Dad-Take One with help from the FLITGIRL




    " I neither knit, nor sew

    I cannot tie a bow,but

    I love my toastie toe socks.”

    …Theresa’s Dad

    In the spirit of full disclosure, I must start by stating, that I am not Theresa, I am merely her Dad.

    Terri, as she is known to her family and grammar school through high school friends, or Theresa, as she is known to her Kindergarten and post high school friends, is currently in Copenhagen or Hamburg, depending upon the time of your reading this. (Her name preference at a demarcating stage of her life actually helps us out quite a bit, as we can tell the chronological dating of her relationships by how someone addresses her.)

    She is buying a car in Sweden, factory direct, much akin to visiting the Alpaca that contributed to her hat. As you can tell from her itinerary, that includes stops in New Jersey, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Scotland. The journey is as important as the destination.

    Since I am not a creator of hand-crafted woolens, but a fortunate recipient, my perspective is different from that of most of this blog’s readers.

    The love, beauty, time, tenderness and thought that she weaves into each of her beautiful and unique works of art are relived each time I put on one of my socks (I own 2 pair, #53 and #91). I faithfully wear each pair once a week. Each week at least twice, I am reminded that I am loved by someone in Rhode Island. At first, I was afraid to wear them… worried about wearing them out, staining them, sweating in them…but then, I remembered the Neruda ode that Terri enclosed with my first pair:

    ..beauty is beauty twice over

    and good things are doubly good

    when you are talking about a pair of

    wool socks in the dead of winter.”

    P. Neurda

    http://www.beautifulwords.com/html/body_socks.html

    High Maintenance? Just because I wear a BROWN MED hat!


    13 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello Theresa's Dad, It's wonderful when a knitter has a father who is so appreciative of her handiwork and recognizes the love that is in the stitches. My own (82 year old) dad is my biggest knitting fan too.

    3/28/2006 4:52 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Bet it's a red Volvo?

    3/28/2006 4:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Fabulous! Such a sweet tribute to the knitted sock that was knit in celebration of relationship!

    3/28/2006 5:08 PM  
    Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

    Wonderful post, Dad!

    3/28/2006 5:35 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    It's great to hear from knitting recipients, too. Hmm, I'm thinking Marina's right - red Volvo...

    3/28/2006 6:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a sweet post, Theresa's Dad. It's obvious what a loving relationship the two of you have. Keep enjoying those work-of-art socks!

    3/28/2006 10:16 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    But how do you differentiate between her kindergarten suitors and her college suitors?

    Great post. You have set the guest-blogging bar very high.

    3/29/2006 6:08 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Hi Theresa's Dad! Wool socks are wonderful and meant to be worn. Cherished, but worn.

    3/29/2006 9:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Enough about socks already!
    Nice dog wearing the hat..

    3/29/2006 3:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lordee, what a mushy bunch you knitting-Dad types are! And you should read less nerdy poets than Neurda [sic]!;) My favorite knitted item was the shaggy sweater worn by Hannah. What pattern was it?
    :)
    Bill, 11 hits so far. Now you can finally get some sleep!

    3/29/2006 4:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Europe in the springtime--I'm so green with envy! And fabulous guest bloggers to boot? Theresa is a very lucky girl indeed!

    Great post, Theresa's Dad!

    3/29/2006 7:51 PM  
    Blogger Theresa said...

    Thanks Dad! Great post. And, yes, Marina, it is a red Volvo. I'll get to drive it in just a minute (this is a Volvo computer). And Sweden is beautiful!

    3/30/2006 4:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dr. Ross! Such a sweet post. Pretty much everything seems right to a girl when her dad faithfully wears her handmade knitwear. I can say that you are luckier than my own Dad, as Terri is by far a better knitter than I am!

    3/30/2006 7:56 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home