Tuesday, April 11, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Meet Felix

    Take a vacation where the souvenir is part of an unforgettable experience.
    -Volvo Overseas Delivery

    Tomorrow I will show you the Europe that the socks saw and talk about knitting and you will like it. But I can no longer ignore the clamoring masses who all want to see this:Meet Felix (and my friend in the background). Felix is my new car. It is also a brand of tomato ketchup that they use in Sweden. It is also the name of a charming statue in downtown Gothenburg. It also means "happy" in Latin. And my car makes me very happy. For the car folks out there, it's a 2006 S40 T5, 6-speed manual transmission with a sunroof and a really cute dorsal-fin antenna (not visible above). If you really need a knitting corollary, Felix represents a lot of yarn I won't be buying.

    And there he is in rural Sweden, his natural habitat. After signing the papers, we got the (strange electronic) keys and headed off on a totally unguided driving tour of rural Sweden. We saw some castles and stuff, but mostly we drove.

    Speaking of Sweden, check out the Swedish license plates:They match. I get to keep these, and since Pennsylvania doesn't require a front plate, guess what's going to stay?

    Several of you wanted to know why I bought a car in Sweden. It's the overseas delivery option that most European car companies offer. It's the same car I'd buy in the US, but I got two free plane tickets to Sweden, a hotel, Swedish meatballs, etc. And then I fly home and the car follows on a ship. Should be here in about three weeks. But the best part is taking a vacation in your new car. I love to drive. I love road trips.

    Road Trip Future
    And there's another one coming up . . . As many of you are aware, I'm graduating from medical school in May and moving to San Diego, CA in June to start residency. In the very narrow window in between when I finish in Providence and start in San Diego, my brother and I are driving Felix cross-country. It'll be my third cross-country road trip and we're taking a southern route so I can cross Mississippi off my list. Like I said, I love to drive. Philadelphia to the Great Smokies through Shiloh into Mississippi (my 49th state) into Texas and across the Southwest into San Diego. Anyone on my route want to hang out the first week of June? I'm not asking for me. It's my 21 year old brother who really wants to know.

    16 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just gorgeous!!

    4/11/2006 2:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Felix!

    You'll have to tell me more about this international buying thing. What's the advantage for the car company? I don't understand. Is there substantial savings to the buyer, or do the "savings" come in the form of a free trip to Europe? You've totally blown my mind here. :)

    Unless you want to drive a few blocks out of your way on your way out of Providence, I probably won't make it onto your list of road-trip stops. I'm not sure I'm the kind of stop you had in mind anyway.

    4/11/2006 2:29 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Felix is a total stud. :)

    In other news, I sent you an email about meeting up. Let me know what works for you. I am also beginning to see the light in using dish cloths instead of sponges (so much more surface area and softer on my hands!).

    4/11/2006 3:41 PM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    welcome home! and if you need a place to crash in southwest virginia, let me know. i've got a big house :)

    4/11/2006 3:50 PM  
    Blogger Norah said...

    Great car! You'll love the Volvo--it's so fun to drive.

    4/11/2006 4:34 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    So cool... ALL of it!

    4/11/2006 4:39 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    So jealous of Felix! My dream car (don't laugh) is a Volvo cross country. Yum. Perhaps (when we win the lottery) hubbo and I will take a swedish vacation to pick her up.
    So start planning that route so I can clear my first week of June schedule! I'll be busy during the weekdays (working) but free every night and weekends. Can't wait to meet Felix (well, and you of course!).

    4/11/2006 4:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Felix is beautiful! We really wanted to do that when we ordered our Mini Cooper (pick up in Oxford and drive all over England), but it wasn't an option. I envy your road trip. I love them too! Congrats on graduation - something to be really proud of. San Diego is surely going to be different than Providence - I've lived both places.
    Dorothy
    http://www.missouristar.typepad.com

    4/11/2006 5:30 PM  
    Blogger amy said...

    gorgeous car and what a memorable way to attain it!

    4/11/2006 6:50 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Six speeds?! Ooh, gotta say I'm jealous.

    4/11/2006 6:53 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Wow! Felix is quite a looker!

    Are you going to stop in Albuquerque and meet Scout and the gang?

    4/11/2006 7:46 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Hey, if you have to cross Kansas, stop in Lawrence (just west of Kansas City)! It's a cool university town and it has a great yarn shop. It will be your last hope before the long, interminable stretch of land between Kansas City and Denver! Drop me an email if your travels come this way!

    4/11/2006 7:53 PM  
    Blogger Beth said...

    Cute car :)

    So which state will you have left as #50?

    4/12/2006 8:44 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    She's never been to Hawaii (I know, the girl's got messed up priorities).

    Obviously NYC is on your list, and don't think I won't enlist your parents to my side.

    (Oh, and the previous colleen wasn't me, though I'm sure the talk of car-jealousy probably tipped you off to that)

    4/12/2006 9:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Felix is very pretty (handsome???)! I never knew that about European car companies. Very interesting.

    4/12/2006 9:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmmm, now I want a cute red car!! I also can't believe that you just got to go over to Europe and buy a car.

    4/18/2006 4:15 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home