Friday, April 14, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Red-Blooded, True-Blue

    I am a free-born American. I can bob my hair. I can smoke cigarettes.
    -Flapper/Suffragist mantra

    I don't smoke, and I'm actually growing my hair long, but I'm all about individual liberty. And because we know that the personal is political and the political is personal (Happy Tax Day to everyone), last night I exercised my right of free choice.

    I could have worked on my Rose Leaf Lace Stole (of which you saw a very crumpled version on the airplane here). This is a simple stole pattern from Vogue On the Go: Scarves that I've admired for a while, and since I agree with Elizabeth Zimmerman that lace makes great travel knitting (so much knitting, so little yarn!), this was my non-sock project in Europe. Think long trans-Atlantic flights and evenings near the fire in Scotland and every WS row being purled while reading Sherlock Holmes, and there's 7 of 9 repeats, with only a simple border on the short ends. Yes, I could have worked on this last night and made great progress.

    I could have knit Trellis, or Branching Out, but they make such good knitting group projects. I could have knit Rogue. Rogue (Cardi Version) is far along, with only a few inches of the fronts and the hood remaining. But then I'll have to sew in a zipper. And I hate sewing in zippers. And who wants a heavy wool sweater in spring? (Or San Diego, for that matter?)

    Or, I could have knit socks. I love socks. I currently only have four in progress: A plain ribbed pair, the German flag socks, my sockapaloooza socks (Chalet Socks from Folk Socks) with one done and the second started and the deadline fast approaching, and, of course, the Argyle Socks. (We all knew Chris was going to mention them if I didn't, right?

    But what would any red-blodded, true-blue American do in this situation? Start a new project of course. Here's the beginning of my Ribby Cardi.

    I'm just The Official Worsted Weight Wool of Knitting Underway (recently seen in The Knitting Olympics): Cascade 22o. The body is in that beige above and the sleeves are in a heathered slate blue.

    Tell me, you would have done the same thing, right?

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yeah, I totally would have done the same thing. Freedom of choice baybee!
    Your scarf look so pretty!
    Just don't neglect those sockpal socks for too long! :)

    4/14/2006 5:15 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Yes, I would have started something new but it would have been a Fair Isle.

    The Rose Leaf stole is gorgeous.

    4/14/2006 5:21 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, Scotland will neffer be se same without you sitting PLUS READING next to the fireplace...tomorrow is the day where they have to let us back into the US and it is the first time the weight of yarn exceeds candy. I hope that's not suspicious. What have you done to our lives!

    4/14/2006 5:55 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    On our very first trip to England I took along a Shetland Shawl of my own design. Great travel knitting. On our return at the airport, I was singled out to have my carry on thoroughly inspected. The lady inspector got as far as the shawl, looked at it and stopped. "You're not going to blow this up" she said and let me go. Whenever I take out the shawl I have such fond memories of knitting away in little English B&B's.
    Dorothy
    http://www.missouristar.typepad.com
    dswaite@mac.com

    4/14/2006 6:13 AM  
    Blogger sheep#100 said...

    Wow! I must admit that I have been looking for something new to cast on. And I really don't like casting on stitches....

    4/14/2006 6:27 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I have never managed to have more than one pair of socks OTN at one time. I fear what will happen to my knitterly progress when I break that barrier!

    4/14/2006 6:31 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Oh, I love the color of your stole! And thanks for humoring me re: the argyles. :)

    4/14/2006 6:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, but it would have been a sock. Or a scarf. You did it better.

    4/14/2006 6:54 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    of course.... Cascade 220, nuff said.

    4/14/2006 8:28 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Completly agree with you. I'm on my third new project in a week - the more, the merrier!

    4/14/2006 11:32 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    And of course, the Ribby in Cascade 220 will be so much more San Diego than the Rogue ;-) (These are both sweaters on MY mental list -- someday.)

    BTW maybe just a problem at my end, but the links from this post weren't working.

    4/14/2006 2:00 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    The stole is beautiful! I am jealous that you can knit and read Sherlock Holmes at the same time. It sounds like a lovely evening.

    Isn't Cascade 220 great? I have used it for a a couple of projects and a haven't found any other worsted weight yarn (in the price range) that makes me as happy.

    4/14/2006 2:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, I did the same thing just this week. :) Re: Scotland- is knitting "big" there? I've gone to Scottish festivals in RI and NH under the impression that there would be wool or at least Scottish inspired patterns for sale, but so far have seen nothing knitting related.

    4/14/2006 5:01 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Being a non-knitter, I've never compulsively switched and/or started knitting projects...

    but I am considering abandoning my romance novel somewhere in Chapter Eleven and flitting off to new writerly adventures. Does that count?

    Brain is JellO. Just spent two hours writing brief statements as to how I could successfully teach and work in a diverse community... (if teaching is my job, isn't that essay prompt a bit redundant?)

    4/14/2006 7:57 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    *sigh* yes, i would likely have done the same...

    i love the stole. it is beautiful! what a wonderful yarn choice too!

    4/15/2006 7:26 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, the fact that I probably wouldn't have done the same thing is just an illustration of how great it is that we live in a place where we can make any knitterly decisions we darn well please. Ever since the Knitting Olympics I have been addicted to finishing, not starting. So lately I've been choosing to make progress toward finishing projects currently on the needles rather than casting on for new ones, no matter how tempting they are.

    Despite these differences, we can all still get along! If only all issues of personal liberty were so uncontentious.

    4/17/2006 7:06 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Right! :)

    (Sorry, I've never made a ribby cardi so I can't help out with the sizing!)

    I'm taking a plane trip on Wednesday (nothing so exciting as Europe though...I'm going to Winnipeg), and I had already concluded that Branching Out was the best project to take, for exactly the reason you describe: lots of knitting, little yarn. ;)

    4/17/2006 12:27 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home