Tuesday, April 18, 2006

  • Main Page
  • MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle

    Tip the world over on its side
    and everything loose will end up in Los Angeles.

    -Frank Lloyd Wright

    My friend JayJay (creator of the Knitting Special Olympics and commenter here who is moving, plus husband, to LA) and I have been walking around for months with a single phrase on our lips: MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle. It's really a single word, so you have to say it all together like that. It inspires us when, for example, we are clothes shopping and we see just the cutest blazer ever. Wouldn't that be perfect for OurNewCaliforniaLifestyle?

    Well, look what else is going to be perfect for ThatNewCaliforniaLifestyle: The Summer Interweave Knits Preview! Check out the Bonita Top! The Seabury Shell! The Lotus Blossom Tank! The Brioche Bodice!

    Look what else is going to be perfect:Here's the Rose Trellis Stole (don't blame me - it's impossible to get a good photo of unblocked lace with only two hands) that I knit mostly in Scotland. I finished the last two repeats of the body this weekend. And here's proof that I've started on the final border:See how simple that is? Twelve row repeat. I need twelve. I've done three. How fun is that?

    (In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that the concept OurNewCaliforniaLifestyle doesn't leave a lot of room for working, which we will both doing in earnest. It does however, involve cute clothes, kayaking, and Mexican tequila.)

    12 Comments:

    Blogger sheep#100 said...

    I am tracking the progress of my entrelac stole the same way: I need 36, have 15 done.

    Looking good there on the lace.

    4/18/2006 6:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cute clothes? Tequila? I think I need a MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle!

    I agree that the new Interweave Knits looks as though it will be pretty high-yield. Though I often find that when I see the actual (much larger) photos in the magazine, I like things I didn't care for in the preview and vice versa. So we'll see.

    Will I get to see the lace in person on Wednesday night?

    4/18/2006 6:58 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    That IW issue looks like it's gonna be GREAT! - man, I gotta setp up my OldCaliforniaLifestyle - I'm giving the place a bad name!

    4/18/2006 7:02 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    I have no doubt that you will slip right into that NewCaliforniaLifestyle, wearing your perfect Rose Trellis Shawl, with no difficulty at all!

    Wendy

    PS: How do all of your warm, cozy comfy OldEastCoastLifeStyle sweaters fit into the new Cali scene?

    4/18/2006 7:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have the right mind set, I gotta tell you! I grew up in San Diego, and it truly is a whole 'nother world!

    The new IK fits right in!

    4/18/2006 8:10 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    YNCL sounds perfect.

    4/18/2006 11:23 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Ah, the seduction of a change in habit (not to be confused with that awful Mary Tyler Moore/Elvis movie "A Change of Habit" about nuns undercover in the ghetto -- Elvis plays a DOCTOR!!)

    Ahem, I, too, am contemplating blissfully a NewNewYorkLifestyle in which I rise late, lunch with friends, spend a few hours in the park, knit a little, whip up some insanely brilliant treatise on Dickens' use of sewage and then write my fourth novel.

    Not present in this vision: Hours of dense critical reading, any sort of actual schedule, winter.

    4/18/2006 11:25 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Mmmm, NewCaliforniaLifestyle sounds divine!

    LOVE the color of that shawl. LOVE it.

    4/18/2006 12:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so excited to get a mention in your blog! I, too, am very excited about our NewCaliforniaLifestyle.

    My list is very similar to yours, cute clothes, belly dancing, and, of course, tequila. Did you know that the biggest belly dancing contest ever was held at the Orange County fairgrounds? Fate, perhaps, that I am moving to Orange County?

    4/18/2006 1:16 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I am excited about IK too - I will probably have to buy more yarn too, darn it! :)
    That color (of your stole) is lovely!

    4/18/2006 2:11 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Hey Theresa! That shawl looks beautiful already.

    I am with Flitgirl. I want her NewNewYorkLifestyle. It sounds a lot more fun than my CurrentClevelandLifestyle, in which I rise very early, start my job as a short order cook to two young boys and then frantically grasp at spare moments to finish my sock pal socks for the rest of the day, between picking up legos and tending house.

    4/18/2006 4:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    TheNewCaliforniaLifestyle sounds good to me!

    4/18/2006 9:29 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home