Friday, April 28, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Member in Good Standing

    In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep,
    one must above all be a sheep oneself.
    -Albert Einstein

    Those of you who watch my sidebars closely (Hi Dad!) may have noticed some new buttons and links. Each of the last five pairs of socks I've knit has been from a Nancy Bush pattern. I've mentioned many times that if there was a Nancy Bush fan club, I'd join. Turns out, there is. There's a Flickr group for visual feasting, a webring to commune with other lovers of Nancy Bush sock patterns, and two - count them - two! knitalongs dedicated to Nancy Bush's sock patterns. I joined them all at once. Who wouldn't?

    To prove that I am a member in good standing for all the web-based Nancy-Bush sock-knitting fun, I present two finished socks. (Excuse the poor photo quality. It was early in the morning. I had a plane to catch. These are a much deeper blue in real life.)

    Sockapaloooza: Chalet Socks

    Pattern: Chalet Socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks
    Yarn: Sisu in a deep blue
    Needles: US 1 bamboo dpns
    Notes: 1) I kitchenered, photographed, and washed them at 5am before leaving town so that they would dry before the May 2nd mailing date. When I first heard of the swap, I wondered why we had so much time. Now I know. Oh, and I'm including extra yarn for any future darning needs. 2)This is the second pair of these I've knit. I have a pair in red merino, and they are lovely. All those twisted stitches are rather time consuming for socks, but the result is worth it. 3) The calf shaping in these is indispensible. The twisted stitches do strange things to the elasticity of the yarn.
    Best Thing About This Project: My first-ever blog swap. . . .
    And those twisted stitches. (And to my sockpal - don't worry about it! I'll look forward to the surprise.)

    And in old news that buried under all the European excitement . . .

    Last Gasp of Winter: Pacific Northwest Socks

    Pattern: Friday Harbor from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road
    Yarn: Mountain Colors 4/8 Weaver's Wool Quarters in Midnight (or maybe Sapphire?)
    Needles: US 4 dpns for the top lace pattern; US 3 dpns for the leg and the foot
    Notes: 1) The top lace pattern is very inelastic. I had to rip them out and go up a needle size so as not to cut off circulation. 2) In the interest of full disclosure, this is the second pair of these I've made, as well. Kate D. has the first pair in the Evergreen color. 3) This yarn is so soft, but it pills like crazy.
    Best Thing About This Project: Keeping my feet warm on a long trans-Atlantic flight. That, and how quickly socks go on 49 sts.

    This concludes our celebration of The Week of the Sock. I'm glad you all enjoyed the darning tutorial. Because if the sock was worth knitting, it is worth darning.

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Jenna said...

    I love both pairs! I knit the Friday Harbor socks recently, and I had to add a whole lace repeat to the cuff to make them fit (I was using Bearfoot instead of the Weaver's Wool Quarters, though, which I think is a thinner yarn).

    4/28/2006 5:37 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I really did enjoy your sock series this week, and I think you have convinced me to try darning, even if just for the learning experience. I have a pair of Knit Picks Sock Garden (100% wool) socks that wore a hole in the heel rather quickly, and the soles have felted on the inside. I was considering just leaving them to germinate in the sock drawer, holey and unworn, but you convinced me that they are worth trying to fix. They are, after all, the first pair of socks I knitted for myself. I'll alert you to my progress when I actually hunker down to it.

    4/28/2006 5:43 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Those are gorgeous, gorgeous socks!

    *makes mental note to actually look at all the sock books that are lying around here*

    4/28/2006 6:06 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    So pretty! I've got to branch out and make some "pretty" socks... mine are all still pretty simple.

    4/28/2006 6:18 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Both pairs of socks are lovely, Theresa. And I love the sock series--even if I'm too much of a chicken to try the darning!

    4/28/2006 6:19 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Two lovely pairs of socks! In case you really wanted to go overboard (not that I'd know anything about that....) there's also a yahoo group for Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Folk_Sock_Knitalong/

    You've got a lucky sock pal!

    4/28/2006 6:44 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    Beautiful socks! And, yes, I was thinking as I posted the pictures to my blog, that your sweater really set you apart from the rest of the crowd. You are, indeed, famous. I should also say that you inspired me to buy a darning egg (even though I'm only on pair #5 of socks, and none of the others show any sign of wear). Elann has one, and I was there buying yarn anyway. I wonder, though, if a kids maraca wouldn't do the same thing? I bet you could get some pretty ornate and colorful ones for a collection.

    4/28/2006 6:55 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Well, WE are very excited to have you in the webring and in the KAL's. There are actually three Nancy Bush KALs ...Folk Socks, Vintage Socks and Knitting on the Road. Please post your photos on the KAL's!

    4/28/2006 7:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So are we to infer from your opening quote that you in fact ARE a Nancy Bush knitted sock? (Okay, I know we are to infer you are a Nancy Bush sock knitter, but that is less entertaining.)

    I am crazy about the colorway in those Friday Harbor socks. Nice and conservative but still fun and not at all boring.

    4/28/2006 10:10 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Pretty, pretty socks. So far, mine are mostly warm.

    4/28/2006 10:54 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I love my Evergreen socks! They are so pretty and soft! I curse the warm weather because I can't keep them on my feet!

    4/29/2006 9:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm wondering, are knitting all of the Nancy Bush designs as written? I always change the toe and heel (even though I spend most of the knitting time debating that), but there is a part of me that thinks I am no sock knitter unless I at least work a few socks with other types of heels and toes. I did knit one pair of socks last year for the sockpaltwoza, they were the Traveler's Stockings, and I worked them as written. The cursed socks on my blog now are the Conwy Socks, but short rowed heels and toes. I'm thinking I might just knit a few of Nancy's socks as written just because. Or I'll just obsess over it as I go along.

    The socks here are lovely. Your sock darning though-I'm very impressed.

    4/30/2006 6:27 AM  
    Blogger limedragon :-: Harriet said...

    Beautiful socks! I have KVS and will look into the KAL for that book. And I'm more tempted than ever to get copies of FS and KOTR.

    4/30/2006 7:11 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Wow, gorgeous socks! I've only ever made the same plain top-down, flap-heel pattern, and I think it's time for me to branch out and try something a little more adventurous -- yours are so lovely!

    4/30/2006 7:35 AM  
    Blogger Pat K said...

    I loved reading your posts this week. Many kudos to the SYAC for leading me to so many talented (sock) knitters. The darning posts are great, I didn't think anyone bothered with that anymore. I shall be visiting you far more often now, just to see what you're up to next.

    4/30/2006 9:58 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I love the socks. They look super cozy.

    4/30/2006 5:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Chalet socks look great! I agree with you on the twisted stitches. Of course. :)

    5/02/2006 1:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home