Monday, May 08, 2006

  • Main Page
  • The Most of Everything

    New York is simply a distillation of the United States,
    the most of everything,
    the conclusive proof that there is an American civilization.

    -Raymond F. Loewy

    I hopped down to New York City this weekend for a visit some quality knitting time with friends. Look! A friend!
    That's a totally gratuitous shot of me (left) and the flitgirl (right) celebrating her birthday. She knits, by the way. Lately, she's been knitting baby sweaters for her church's Lenten charity project (and extending the spirit of giving by continuing past Easter, thankyouverymuch). Now she's gearing up for The Amazing Lace, because we've been friends since Mr. Hallman's 7th grade social studies class and I can twist her arm like that.

    Flitgirl and I knit on the crosstown bus and earned the accolades of several other passengers. They really liked my new socks-in-progress. These are the Fancy Silk Stockings from Knitting Vintage Socks. They are a perfect match for the Lorna's Laces (colorway unknown) that I won in Leah's contest. No pooling. No striping. Just lovely lacey ribbiness.

    What? That wasn't enough knitting content? I saw my college roommate, a wonderful woman in every respect except her bona fide allergy to wool. Fortunately, she can wear alpaca. Even more fortunately, she's knitting with bamboo right now - a lace scarf (yes, I forced invited all my friends to join my knitalong) - and it has a fabulous hand and drape. Kind of like a silk-cotton blend. Or maybe a silk-linen blend. Very crisp. It has the potential to be fabulously formal.

    I pulled out my oldest UFO for the train ride back - a close up of a leaf lace scarf on your left. This is a hand-dyed cashmere-silk blend that I got at School Products a couple of years ago and have pretty much only ever knit on in New York. Not consciously, but it's on US 2s. My only US 2 straights are the old-fashioned aluminum kind that you can't take on airplanes, but in every other respect it's great travel knitting. The only place I travel by not-planes/not-cars is New York. Q.E.D. If I ever worked on it, I might finish it. Think I can hang onto my finishing mojo long enough to knit another 30+ inches of a lace scarf on US 2s? No, I didn't think so either.

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    Great weather for a weekend in NYC - doesn't get much better than that. Warm and sunny, but not stifling.

    What pattern is flitgirl knitting with the bamboo?

    5/08/2006 6:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have faith that you can finish that scarf, even if you don't. You just have to put your mind to it for a couple evenings and then it'll be finished and you'll be free of it! Besides, it's such a pretty color and pattern that it's practically a crime to let it languish unfinished for any longer.

    5/08/2006 7:03 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    30+ inches? Yikes. That's going to take a bit of time. I think you need an extended vacation in NYC.

    5/08/2006 8:13 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You can finish! We have faith in you!

    The colorway on the socks is Miata, btw!

    They look fabulous!

    5/08/2006 10:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great pic of two lovely ladies.

    5/08/2006 12:24 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I'm glad you had a nice weekend away. One of these days I will take a trip to New York - I have still never been :-(

    P.S. You may want to check the excluded/accepted list on the tsa.gov site because I believe they allow all knitting needles on U.S. planes now. I found out this weekend that they now allow cork screws!

    5/08/2006 1:22 PM  
    Blogger Shoshana said...

    To answer Elizabeth's question:
    I (the above mentioned college roommate with the wool alergy) am knitting a simple traveling vine lace pattern scarf in the bamboo, in a deep purple color.

    I highly recommend it, the yarn is fun to work with and comes in great colors.

    5/08/2006 8:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree a beautiful picture. See you on the USS Constitution. Love,

    5/09/2006 5:39 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    Hey! I took that picture! I'm published!

    5/09/2006 10:09 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home