Friday, May 05, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Fee, Fi, FO, Fum

    Finish each day and be done with it.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Spring. New beginnings. Usually I feel like starting all sorts of new projects. Not quite this year. I don't know if it's the impending move, the cold snap earlier in the week, the desire to start my lace with a clean slate, or the post-Knitting Olympics realization that I can, in fact, actually finish projects. Either way, I've been on a finishing jag recently.

    Trellis
    Pattern: Trellis from Knitty, largest size
    Yarn: Lionbrand CottonEase in Red (why did they discontinue this yarn?)
    Needles: US 7
    Notes: 1) I made the twists mirror images of each other, because that kind of thing is important to me. 2) Way too much finishing for a baby sweater. Note to self: Knit pullovers, not cardigans, without fancy collar shaping.
    Best Thing About This Project: I "rediscovered" how to mattress stitch in reverse stockinette stitch while on airplane at 36,000 feet.

    Apple Hat
    Pattern: Easy-Stitch Apple Cap from Family Circle Easy Knitting, n.d.; newborn size
    Yarn: discloth cotton
    Needles: US 7
    Notes: A variation on the strawberry hat theme. Cute.
    Best Thing About This Project: There are triplets coming. Triplets. Think of the possibilities.

    German Flag Socks
    Pattern: generic st st sock pattern out of my head (68 sts for a man)
    Yarn: Regia, self-striping like the German flag (bonus points: bought in Germany)
    Needles: US 1 dpns
    Notes: I began from the outside of the ball, which resulted in upside down flags. Meaning no disrespect to Deutschland, I ripped them out and started over from the center. I did, however, maintain my artistic license to have fraternal socks that didn't start with a full repeat of black.
    Best Thing About This Project: Where to start? They are a gift for the friend who accompanied me to Europe to pick up my snazzy new car. He bought me sock yarn; I made him socks. We drove around Sweden and knit on the sock outside of castles and ate pickled herring. . . On top of all that European fun, this is a man who appreciates handknit socks. He has been known to write spontaneous text messages in praise of handknit socks. Just because his feet were comfortable. . . . And for those of you who are counting, that would be pair of socks #96.

    And Rogue is maybe even kind of sort of done. Details will follow next week.

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Wow! You are on a roll. As much as I love having tons of projects going, I love finishing up a bunch of them at once - makes me feel so productive!

    5/05/2006 5:20 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    You are the finishing queen this week! I too am trying to wrap up some low-hanging fruit so that I can gear up for the Amazing Lace. I am also planning on hosting "Summer of Stash" at my blog so I am trying to make sure I have enough "supplies" to get me through!

    5/05/2006 6:02 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    I tell ya - you are my knitting inspiration and, I'll say it again, definitely the inspiration behind Count Your Socks! I finished pair #9 - only 88 more to catch up!

    Darned life keeps getting in the way!

    5/05/2006 6:53 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    I am so with you on Cotton-Ease. What were they thinking? I bought a whole bunch of it just as they announced that it would be discontinued. Grr.

    5/05/2006 6:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I knit Trellis as a pullover for my youngest grandson for Christmas. You can see a pic on my blog (I think) ...I felt the same way about finishing plus my DD prefers pullovers for the little ones.
    Great colour...nice work!!

    5/05/2006 7:04 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the colors on those socks! And I'm kind of like that when I knit lace. I have to focus on the lace, and like to have other projects finished up first.

    5/05/2006 8:05 AM  
    Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

    Super productive! Trellis is very pretty. And you have to knit for triplets, I sometimes find it hard to knit for one in a timely fashion. But clearly, finishing is your strength right now :).

    5/05/2006 8:05 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Oh, I like Trellis. Luckily (or not) I never picked up Cotton Ease so I can't mourn it's discontinuance.

    Triplets, eh? You can make them apple, strawberry and.....something hats! Or a Lion, Tiger & Bear.....

    5/05/2006 10:32 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    First legitimate excuse I have for baby-hat-makin' (or baby-makin' for that matter) you are giving me that apple hat pattern.

    5/05/2006 11:28 AM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    wow. i need to catch the finishing bug. i have five pairs of socks in various states of undone. one of which is six months over-due as a gift. sheesh...

    5/05/2006 12:30 PM  
    Blogger cindy said...

    Trellis is lovely in red! What a lucky child to receive this sweater and in cotton.

    5/05/2006 1:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, you're on a tear. I wouldn't be surprised if posting and enjoying and gifting all these finished objects makes you even MORE addicted to finishing.

    5/05/2006 1:16 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi from Austria! Wow, you've finished quite a couple of amazing projects - I absolutely love how Trellis turned out, it's a true piece of art! The hat and the socks are so cool as well, such cheerful colors you chose! Great, great work done!

    5/05/2006 2:08 PM  
    Blogger Maureen said...

    The Trellis Sweater is stunning. I love the clor. 96 pairs of socks? Incredible

    5/06/2006 6:24 AM  
    Blogger Carrie said...

    Wow you've really been knitting! I love the apple hat.
    I agree with you about the Cotton Ease, it was their best yarn.

    5/06/2006 7:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Trellis looks great! Cute hat.

    5/12/2006 7:04 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home