Wednesday, May 24, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Wind in My Sails

    Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
    -Paul Carvel

    Newport, Rhode Island is famous for its wind, its historic seaport, and its Naval Station. I had some business at the third at the charming hour of 0630 yesterday morning (and Blogger was just not cooperating at 0500), which gave me several hours later in the morning to enjoy the other two.

    On your right, a view of the Pell Bridge and Jamestown from a nice park along the bay. In the front, my oldest remaining work in progress. This is a Saucy "Lace Aran Tank" - a Reynolds pattern - that I had started in San Diego last September and then tabled for the duration of a New England winter. Now seems like a great time to pull it out, and it's moving quickly.

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Lynda said...

    Oooh, it's pretty!

    and, have I told you before, I love the quotes. Where do you find them all?!

    5/24/2006 6:56 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    And Newport is famous for the mansions, too! Don't forget the mansions. ;-)

    5/24/2006 7:25 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    The land looks so FLAT....lol....I'm a mountain girl who would love to visit your area of the country some day.

    Love your lace Aran Tank!

    http:socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

    5/24/2006 8:46 AM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    Lace looks great!

    5/24/2006 9:16 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Next state I live in will have a shoreline and be genrally more interesting ;-)

    Welcome back Lace tank!

    5/24/2006 11:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uh-oh, your out-of-state roots are showing. Native Rhode Islanders still call it the Newport Bridge!

    5/24/2006 12:44 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Hello, tank! Hmm, maybe you would like to meet some of my hidden for the winter tanks...

    5/24/2006 2:00 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Rhode Island? Weren't you headed to San Diego? I think you took a right when it was supposed to be a left.....

    Pretty, pretty view. I love the quotes too.

    5/24/2006 4:36 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    And the jazz festival! Don't forget that - it's probably the only thing most people here would know about Newport. Of course it is most famous in my mind for a rather unfair speed trap I stumbled into 10 years ago...
    Love the tank, I can just tell that's going to be very well loved as part of your NCL when it's finished.

    5/24/2006 5:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, it's fun to see everyone's else's impressions of Rhode Island in the comments. I myself am rather fond of this little state.

    Is that lace on that tank? I didn't know you knit lace!

    5/24/2006 7:35 PM  
    Blogger ICJ said...

    Great photo and beautiful Aran Lace! :)

    6/19/2006 8:07 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home