Monday, May 22, 2006

  • Main Page
  • The Keystone State

    I've been there, done that, I ain't looking back
    It's been a long long road
    Feels like I've never left, that's how the story goes
    It doesn't matter where you are, doesn't matter where you go
    If it's a million miles aways or just a mile up the road
    Take it in, take it with you when you go
    Who says you can't go home?
    -"Who Says You Can't Go Home?" Jon Bon Jovi and Jennifer Nettles

    As you may or may not be aware, military personnel can maintain their state of residence no matter where they are stationed. For a combination of sentimental and practical reasons, I am a Pennsylvania resident (and so is Felix).

    (Some) Advantages of Being a Pennsylvania Resident:

    Sentimental reasons:
    1. My grandparents, parents, and parent's dog are all in Pennsylvania.
    2. I grew up in Pennsylvania.
    3. The Jersey Shore. It really belongs to Pennsylvania. And it's a wonderful place.
    4. Ask me anything about Quakers. Or Ben Franklin.
    Practical Reasons:
    1. My parents have a reliable address for my voter registration card, the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry, and my college's requests for money.
    2. Voting in a swing state.
    3. Nice looking license plate for Felix on the back, and room for the Swedish plate on the front.
    4. And speaking of the DMV, no excise tax on cars and no inspections when I'm active duty out of state.
    5. Plenty of other tax advantages, including no sales tax on yarn. It's considered clothing.
    6. On a related note, Rosie's Yarn Cellar and Loop and the trip downtown that Felix and I took last week where
    7. We met Wendy and were interviewed for her podcast, KnittyD and the City to talk about The Amazing Lace (so go check it out) and
    8. We bought yarn.
    9. Koigu. Because it's hard to find. And do I really need to justify Koigu?
    10. Linen. Because I was feeling nautical. This might turn into handtowels (magically?).
    11. Suri Alpaca. (That would be the slate blue soft-looking stuff on the left of the photo above.) It was on sale. And it's so soft.
    Other Notes on Stash:

    While I appreciate JennyRaye's suggestion to bring all the stash in Felix with me when we go next week, it won't all fit. Not even close. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

    Consider this a warm-up to the post about my trip to the WEBS tent sale. Too much yarn at once is overwhelming.

    15 Comments:

    Blogger MsFortuknit said...

    I love your choices! I love linen as Koigu....Cheers Sounds like you have some great stuff!

    Knit on!

    5/22/2006 6:24 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    I have lost one of my skeins of the suri alpaca!!!!

    You forgot - Pennsylvania is also Rocky's home state!

    W

    5/22/2006 6:48 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stash out, bay-bee! We're all behind you!

    Jealous, but very supportive!

    5/22/2006 7:42 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Philly when I go to visit the in-laws later this summer.

    5/22/2006 8:24 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    See--I knew there was an advantage to having a small(ish) stash. It would all fit in my car (granted it's a minivan--kids, ya know)where I could keep a close eye on it at all times.

    5/22/2006 8:56 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Nice nautical colors! Magically made. Aren't those storebought? The fun is in the doing. (Sometimes. Subject to change at whim).

    PA is now my brother's home state. Yarn has no sales tax? Of course, the only yarn store I went to was Kathy Zimmerman's in Ligonier.

    5/22/2006 10:10 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    I've been avoiding WEBS for that very reason. I wouldn't want to be overwhelmed. ;-)

    5/22/2006 12:11 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Koigu for socks, right? Sock yarn doesn't count as stash - yippee!
    I'm totally jealous of no sales tax on yarn - the 8.25% here nearly kills me.
    And yeah, swing state voting. Awesome.

    5/22/2006 3:28 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Since I was born and raised (well for six years) in Pittsburgh, PA, I too share your fondness for the state.

    You might want to try Fabric Place in Warwick. I tend to stare at the Koigu there.

    5/22/2006 6:42 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Ah, good ol' PA. We go way back. I still get teary when trying to explain to Aussies exactly what is so significant about Bill Mazeroski's home run in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 in 1960. Never mind that I wasn't even born then.

    5/23/2006 12:16 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    WEBS tent sale?! *uncontrollable drooling*

    5/23/2006 7:22 AM  
    Blogger Reese said...

    how come i never find out about the tent sales until AFTER they're over?? goddamn!

    and since you shopped there, u should know there's no tax on yarn in MA too! oh poor people who pay tax on yarn....

    5/23/2006 11:22 AM  
    Blogger maryse said...

    i went to college in pennsylvania.

    5/24/2006 2:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice job on the podcast interview! I don't know if you'll be happy or unhappy to hear that you actually sound quite a bit like yourself. Maybe in real life your voice sounds a little higher. Anyway, thanks for representing our knitalong!

    Someday I would like to meet your entire stash.

    5/24/2006 7:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    By the way, my sister lives across the street from Rosie's Yarn Cellar. When I went to visit her and discovered this, it was hard to maintain my focus on spending time with her. I did manage to sneak out for a short visit.

    5/24/2006 7:41 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home