Friday, June 09, 2006

  • Main Page
  • California Girl

    I wish they all could be California girls . . .
    -The Beach Boys

    So, what was wrong with Blogger this week? Was everyone else getting those "unscheduled maintenance" messages? And here I had so much to blog about! So bear with me as I get caught up on 1,700 miles of driving, my first week in San Diego, and all sorts of knitting adventures (and caught up on my bloglines and responding to comments - you guys have been busy!).

    Because this is my blog, and I feel inspired today, I'm going to work backwards. Today I'll talk about San Diego, and then tomorrow we can go back in time and talk about exciting things in West Texas (no kidding).

    OK, San Diego. Billy and I arrived safe and sound on Monday, and promptly set off exploring. (Look left to see actual proof that Bill arrived safely, but, tragically, not yet able to knit.) Here we're standing on Coronado enjoying the view of the bay and downtown. We were there to do some paperwork on one of the Navy bases (and do tax-free shopping), and The Best Brother in Blogland (TM) even bought me lunch. Isn't he great? Ask him anything about Ikea bookcases; he's now an expert. And don't they put Navy bases in beautiful places?

    On your right, note the sock relaxing in the only sun we've seen all week (June Gloom). That would, in fact, be a Trekking sock. And enjoy it, because that is the only gratuitous knitting content of this post. . .

    Although, in other knitting-related news, the movers have somehow misplaced half of my household goods (apparently the "unaccompanied baggage" half, whatever that means). I'm sure it will show up at some point, since I now have half of the Personal Property Office working on the trace (is it bad that they recognize my voice when I call?). The problem: Most of my stash is in that shipment, along with my paper shredder, bathrobe, and other miscellaneous useful items.

    And for our final non-sequitur of the post: Apparently there are weekend knitting groups in San Diego - a fabulous concept. But guess what I'm doing this weekend? Flying to Washington, DC for a wedding. That's right - five days after getting here, I'm turning around and going back.

    Maybe next week I'll begin to feel settled? Settled or not, I'm starting work next Wednesday!

    ETA: So I (yes, I, not the Personal Property Office whose only mission in life is to keep track of personal property) found my stuff. It's been in a warehouse in San Diego for 2 weeks, but the paperwork had the wrong social security number attached. Of course, now they can't deliver it until after I start working. Argh!

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I'm so glad you made it to San Diego safe and sound.

    6/09/2006 12:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    welcome home! san diego is so gorgeous (even if you're not getting much sun).

    good luck getting the "unaccompanied baggage" back

    6/09/2006 12:33 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    CA looks beautiful.

    I hope that all the Navy paperwork gets in the near future. I remember you mentioning forms at Graduation.

    I will keep your stash in my thoughts. I will use this post as proof that my stash must come with my Dad and me to Florida. I am willing to lose my clothes and books (my non-knitting books that is) in the move but certainly not my yarn.

    6/09/2006 1:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gosh, that makes me homesick!

    Would you take a picture of iceplant when you get a cnance?

    6/09/2006 1:49 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Welcome to your new home! Let the west coast soothe your soul... and give me a call soon to celebrate our shared time zone.

    6/09/2006 1:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just love San Diego -- it's so beautiful! Enjoy your new adventure. Look forward to hearing about it!

    6/09/2006 2:03 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Well thank goodness you found your stash. Not to mention your bathrobe.

    Bill's tragic lack of knitting prowress is made up by springing for lunch. What a nice bro.

    Weekend knitting groups? and not just for Knit In Public day tomorrow? Awesome.

    6/09/2006 3:51 PM  
    Blogger Sonya said...

    Glad you made it safe and sound. Have fun exploring your new city and its knitting scene.

    6/09/2006 4:05 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    So glad you've made it safely! San Diego looks lovely in your photos. I'm also relieved that you've found your stuff - how stressful to have missing stash!

    6/09/2006 4:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So glad that you made it safely and your stuff found you ok! San Diego looks gorgeous!! : )

    6/09/2006 4:23 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Welcome!

    6/09/2006 6:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WHY, exactly, can't they deliver it until you start working? That's totally inexcusably bad service. As for you finding it and the Personal Property Office staff not, I think you should suggest that you should collect the portion of their salaries that they (failed to) earn during the duration of this debacle. I am outraged on your behalf, if that helps any. Should I write to my senator?

    6/09/2006 8:14 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Welcome to San Diego! Can't wait to meet you sometime.

    6/09/2006 10:49 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Um, well, at least your stuff got there, right?! Right??

    And there's nothing wrong with knitting black socks. :)

    You're lucky you missed most of the blogger mess - no commenting on blogger blogs, either - very frustrating.

    6/10/2006 9:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad you arrived safely! If you think San Diego is beautiful, check out NAS Whidbey Island. We live on an island complete with majestic mountains on both sides, bald eagles and one of the most visited state parks in Washington. I think you should wrangle for a tour here! The only downside is one miniscule LYS, but there are others within driving distance.
    Dorothy (Missouri Star)
    dswaite@mac.com

    6/11/2006 5:12 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home