Saturday, June 03, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Smooth Ride

    Focus on the journey, not the destination.
    Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.
    -Greg Anderson

    The journey is going well so far - both the cross-country drive and the lace knitting. (Bill says "hi," although he refused to pose with the lace today. He did, however, learn the definition of knitted lace/lace knitting. We're making progress.)

    Pennsylvania. Started the shawl (although barely - see the photographic evidence of the state line above). Maryland and West Virginia (oh so briefly). Virginia. Tennessee (definitely not brief). Mississippi (now I've been to 49 of the 50 US states). Louisiana. And now Texas. Everything is bigger in Texas. Including my shawl. The last photo I took, however, was in Mississippi (I think). Let this be a representative photo of all the national parks and battlefields we've visited.* If you don't have one yet, go get a National Parks Pass. How else can you pose your knitting with battle regiment markers?

    I have really gotten into the rhythm of the pattern. It's fun. Easy, but not boring. And gorgeous. It has these fabulously well-defined lines of decreases that make shapes. Shapes. It's enormously entertaining. Enormously. And the Zephyr. . . let's just say it's a close call as to whether Felix or the Zephyr is smoother.

    *For the curious, Skyline Drive/Shenendoah NB, Andrew Johnson Birthplace NHS, Great Smoky Mountains NP, Shiloh NB, Natchez Trace Parkway, Vicksburg NHS/NB, with many more to come. Have you seen how many National Parks are in New Mexico?

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    The shawl is looking very lovely - and I bet it coordinates oh-so-well with Felix.

    6/03/2006 12:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are making some serious progress, both in terms of road mileage, and shawl knitting. Gotta love a road trip!

    6/03/2006 1:06 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Oh - come on Billy - you know you want to pose with the lace.

    6/03/2006 1:22 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Wow, you are a real champ knitting the whole way! As much as I love to knit, an afternoon of car knitting would be enough. How many days are you doing this trip in?? You've made amazing progress so far! I'm impressed! Stay safe!

    6/03/2006 3:06 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    National Parks are a National treasure. (Oh, so cliche. But true!)

    Wow, the shawl is looking amazing. I love the color and the lines of the pattern.

    Bill doesn't have to pose with the shawl if he starts knitting something.

    6/03/2006 5:40 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Glad your trip is going well. Wow - 49 states! I hope to be able to say that myself one day.

    6/03/2006 6:00 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    We just bought our National Parks pass in Maine to use on our cross country trip. It's a great way to support a good cause and have fun!

    Love the lace. My Schachenmayr sweater is coming along slowly. Packing takes up too much time! :)

    6/03/2006 6:37 PM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    Beautiful Lace! I haven't used Zephyr yet, but I've heard how wonderful it is to work with. You've chosen a gorgeous color.

    6/04/2006 7:30 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    I can't believe you've accomplished all of that knitting in the car- I would be fooling with the radio.

    I had no idea there was even one national park in New Mexico . . .

    Wendy

    6/04/2006 3:24 PM  
    Blogger Heather said...

    Wow! Traveling Lace! The progress is beautiful!

    6/04/2006 6:20 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    The shawl is looking great!

    6/05/2006 7:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Felix/Zephry smoothness contest might be a close call rhetorically, but I know which one I want wrapped around me on a summer evening and which I wan wrapped around me in the event of a head-on collision.

    Great pattern! Think how much you'll like it when you reknit it in a color you like better. :(

    6/05/2006 2:29 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home