Tuesday, June 06, 2006

  • Main Page
  • I May Never Knit Again

    The sewing machine joins what scissors have cut asunder,
    plus whatever else comes in its path.
    -Mason Cooley

    Theresa is in San Diego and her computer is not yet hooked up. So here is a post from her future archives.

    I know. That's a scary title for a post. On a knitting blog. But look at my graduation present:Is this the best graduation you've ever seen? Seriously. I have The Best Parents In Blogland (TM). Now, I know pretty much nothing about sewing machines. But I do know that after my mother came up with the idea that I might use a sewing machine (and they didn't even see this blog entry until later), my dad did all sorts of research into consumer satisfaction and this rated very highly. He also reports that there are many sewing blogs, should I get so taken that I abandon knitting altogether. So apparently this is a great sewing machine. It makes buttonholes, and some fifty different stitches.

    At the moment, I can't can't even sew with one stitch. But I'm going to learn. I have a zipper to put in Rogue. I want to make pillows. I want to make The Weekender Bag. And, inexplicably, I really really want to make this Civil War-era ballgown. I know, but I can't exaplain it either. I think I'll start with pillows. Actually, I think I'll start with lessons.

    The Best Parents in Blogland (TM) were also considerate enough to give me this graduation gift before the movers came, so the machine is all packed up and on its way to San Diego. Just one more thing to look forward to in MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle.

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Karen said...

    What a great present,but you won't give up knitting. You'll just expand your craftiness. I love my Janomes and I'm sure you will love yours too. And yes, take classes and start with something small and easy. That gown looks scary.

    6/06/2006 3:56 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Those Simplicity Civil War ballgowns ain't easy to sew. But if you decide to do it and you need help, feel free to yell in my general direction.

    6/06/2006 4:19 PM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    I love it! Pillows will be a great start. I used to make board shorts for the kidlets, another easy project. Now, I only do curtains and other home decorating. That dress will be a great project when you've mastered some techniques.

    6/06/2006 4:21 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    What a great present! And a Janome! You do have the Best Parents in Blogland.

    Oh, go for it. What better way to learn? Lessons are an idea though.

    6/06/2006 4:27 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    Ok, it's only my .02, but I'd still sew a zipper in a hand-knit sweater by hand. And I learned to sew before I learned to knit. I'm trying to remember where the best directions I ever read can be found, but right now I'm drawing a blank.

    Congratulations on the machine -- you'll use it and enjoy it for a long time.

    6/06/2006 5:42 PM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    It might be easier to knit the ballgown. Everything else is quite doable with a few lessons.

    6/06/2006 5:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very exciting! Use it well :-)

    6/06/2006 6:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a wonderful present! You have so many things to look forward to. I'm envying your new CaliforniaLifeStyle. Hope the movers arrive quickly!

    6/06/2006 7:13 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That dress totally cracks me up!

    The machine looks wonderful. I'll have to check it out, since I am in the market for a new machine!

    6/06/2006 7:46 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Fabulous present! But no, you'll just be able to participate in more -alongs, like Sew?IKnit.

    6/06/2006 8:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If you abandon knitting altogether for sewing, I will stop reading your blog UNLESS -- and this is a promise -- you make that ballgown and wear it every day.

    Great graduation present, if somewhat traditional. Seems like it's almost a given to see a new M.D. with a new sewing machine under his or her arm. Doesn't make it any less meaningful, though. ;)

    6/07/2006 3:57 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    ummmmm, we don't really wear too many civil war era ball gowns here in your "NewCaliforniaLifestyle" - but hey, maybe you can start something!

    Cool gift, though!

    6/07/2006 7:03 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Love the sewing machine! You know how I feel about sewing, so I'm all for adding another craft! I agree that pillows would be an excellent start. As for the ballgown, I shudder to think how much the fabric alone would cost.....

    6/07/2006 10:19 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Every girl needs a Civil War-era ballgown!

    I am glad you got to San Diego safely. You are lucky you got out of RI when you did. It is pouring here. :( Enjoy your sunny NewCaliforniaLifestyle!

    6/07/2006 10:38 AM  
    Blogger Charleen said...

    You are going to love it! I got it when my Viking was in the shop and now I use it all the time. While I like to think that we are The Best Parents in Blogland (TM) I've got to hand it to your parents - it's a great gift!

    6/07/2006 12:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a wonderful gift! You are going to have so much fun! I *love* the Weekender Bag - honestly, I *love* all of Amy's designs! Oh, and there are a couple of places to take sewing classes around San Diego if needed :)

    6/08/2006 8:14 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I have a similar obsession, only it's with making myself one of those Elvish dresses from Lord of the Rings...and all I know how to do is sew a not-so-straight line with my machine.

    P.S. welcome to town!

    6/09/2006 8:17 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home