Monday, June 05, 2006

  • Main Page
  • True North

    O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    -Canadian National Anthem

    Since road trip is the theme of the week here at Knitting Underway, let's revisit one of the best all-time road trips.

    Spring Break 2002: Senior year of college. Cancun? Daytona Beach? Try Canada. Who doesn't love Canada in March?

    The road trip - 5 women, 3 of whom had driver's licenses, 2 of whom could read a map, my trusty old Volvo - Brunswick, Maine to visit Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's house, then the border.

    Pleasant Canadian border patrol: "What brings you to Canada?"
    Me: "Anne of Green Gables."
    Her: "That would be pleasure, not business, eh?"
    Me: "Oops."

    Nine hours later, Prince Edward Island. Anne of Green Gables. (But, alas!, no Gilbert. Where was Gilbert?) And MacAuslands Woollen Mill.

    Aren't those lovely brown paper packages all wrapped up with string? They included the yarn for my favorite Aran sweater. We also hit the Briggs and Little factory store on the way home (where I bought the Heritage yarn for my Rogue). The trunk was stuffed to the gills, literally barely able to close because of all the yarn. We reached the border again. There were dogs. Marines. Border guards.

    Border guard: "Ma'am, will you open your trunk, please."
    Me: "Sure."
    Him: "What is in this brown paper?"
    Me: "Yarn."
    Him (incredulously): "Yarn?"
    Me: "Yes."

    Let's just say we had to open up every single one.

    I'm heading away from the Canadian border and to the Mexican border, which I never would have guessed at the time that photo was taken, before medical school, before the Navy. Amazing what changes four years can bring, isn't it?

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I've always marveled at that point myself. I still remember traveling to San Diego as a kid, never thinking or even supposing I would be living just down the street as an adult. Crazy.

    ...and Gilbert...still one of my favorites ;-)

    6/05/2006 11:26 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Ah knitters, we are suspicious group!

    Isn't it amazing to look at old pictures and think about how our lives have changed since they have been taken?

    6/05/2006 12:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man, my crush on Gilbert (in the PBS production) was intense. I often think now that Trot Nixon of the Boston Red Sox looks a little like that actor, so I have some particular affection for him.

    I would love to go to Prince Edward Island someday (perhaps not in March). Good to know there are many good yarn incentives.

    6/05/2006 2:32 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    PEI in March = closed tourist attractions and absolutely no tourists.

    Twirling around on snow covered beaches, tromping about the (ostensibly closed) Green Gables, and watching Canadian movies about curling... what's not to love?

    In the words of a carving we found on a tree, "I love you, Gilbert. Where are you?"

    6/05/2006 4:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah Chamberlain - my favorite general and Gilbert. And yarn. Can life get any better?
    Dorothy (Missouri Star)
    dswaite@mac.com

    6/05/2006 7:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I visited PEI a few years before the bridge was built, and would love to go back. It was fun following your links re: Chamberlain which led to Bowdoin College which led to...now what was I supposed to be doing?

    6/06/2006 3:28 AM  
    Blogger Norah said...

    Oh my gosh, PEI is my dream trip (I'm an AoGG junkie from way back)--and now that I know there's that much yarn there . . . *swoon.*

    6/06/2006 5:51 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    I'd have loved to have seen the facial expressions of the Border Patrol as you told them it was yarn, and then as they opened every package!

    6/06/2006 6:10 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    I'd've loved to see the look on their faces myself. "That really WAS all yarn!" Americans.

    6/06/2006 2:59 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home