Tuesday, June 27, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Weekend Roundup

    A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
    -Grace Murray Hopper

    Not to dim the excitment generated by yesterday's felted clogs, but it's time for a little weekend round-up from my last free weekend in a long while. (Not that they've given us our call schedule for the month starting THIS THURSDAY or anything. That would be far far too convenient.) At any rate, I went to the launch of the USNS Sacagawea on Saturday. Twenty-six of her descendents were there to launch it into the water (40 metric tons of displacement). It was cool. I was in uniform, so there was no knitting. In fact, there has been a tragic lack of knitting these days. I used to knit a sock a day in medical school (the first two years, at least) - even on my Surgery rotation, attendings would joke about my knot-tying skills. Something tells me that the knitting-at-work days ended when I became a doctor and put on a uniform. If it's not the one, it's the other. I do have one friend who is knitting her way through (civilian) intern orientation, but she's a Pediatrician. Things are a little warmer and fuzzier over there.


    At any rate, the fun-filled weekend included some knitting at the Padres game. Your eyes do not deceive you:

    1. Look how close we were. It was awesome.
    2. Look how sunny it was. Let me assure you that the sunburn on my arms tells me exactly how I hold my arms when knitting.
    3. Look how much progress I've made on the Lace Aran tank. The back is done and the front is almost up to the armholes. If I focus, I could wear it soon. More likely, I'll wear it later this summer.

    Good times. Good times.

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    So are you not allowed to knit while in uniform? Or do you just feel uncomfortable about it?

    6/27/2006 8:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No Knitting in the Navy?

    Maybe somebody should tell Shanti that. :)

    Behold, I give you my friend Shanti's blog, wherein there is knitting aboard ship. Dunno if it's rank thing that she's able to do that, or what. Maybe ask her? :)

    http://artemesia.typepad.com/adventures_in_paradise/

    6/27/2006 8:53 AM  
    Blogger Marsha said...

    Is that just like the government, keep you from having fun and enjoying life! It's death & taxes AND now, no knitting!!

    6/27/2006 10:11 AM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I'm sorry the knitting has been slowing down, but it still looks like the NewCaliforniaLifeStyle is agreeing with you based on the happy photos of sunny weather and baseball games. :)

    6/27/2006 12:47 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Wow, that is close and the Lace Aran tank is really coming along! It looks so good.

    6/27/2006 1:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for the kind words about my bride peices. I just wanted to comment on how great your Lace Aran tank looks!

    6/27/2006 2:15 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Wow, are those drink holders attached to the seats at the padres game?!? This is an innovation in stadium design that has yet to take on over here!
    Yes you were close to the ball game. But I was also a little amazed at how close you were to that big ship!

    6/27/2006 4:14 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Ahh baseball. I'm so ready for some here!

    6/27/2006 4:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A sock a day?!? What's the secret? I couldn't do that knitting 24/7?!

    I was so impressed my that, the whole ship lauching thing was lost on me!

    Good luck with the internship!!

    6/27/2006 6:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Apparently the whole spelling thing is lost on me too!

    6/27/2006 6:01 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Pretty color on the Lace Aran tank. The west coast is fun, no?

    6/28/2006 6:07 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    Who won?

    6/28/2006 10:10 AM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    Totally jealous over here; we're going to the Giants v. Pads game and we've got seats in the nosebleed section--we'll be able to see Greene's blond mullet and that's about it. Still, I'll bring the knitting and drink an 8 dollar beer and enjoy myself.

    6/29/2006 1:40 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home