Wednesday, June 21, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Fun with Patterns

    Transport of the mails, transport of the human voice,
    transport of flickering pictures - in this century, as in others,
    our highest accomplishments still have
    the single aim of bringing men together.

    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Now that I have a plan, it's time to ignore it in favor of other bright shiny and new things; it's time to abandon all my lovely projects in process in favor of new things. Seriously. I have startitis so strongly that I can't even start something. It's that intense. Today (and quite possibly the rest of the week) represents a completely undisciplined random approach to some of the new fun contenders. Because the point of a knitting blog is not actually knitting; the point is talking about knitting.

    A couple of weeks ago, it the hustle-bustle of all the moving, I got a lovely email from Liz "a pro pos of nothing." A few emails later, here's what arrived at my door:(Yes, I did go very far to take that photo. Why do you ask?)

    Liz's description is better than mine, so I'm quoting directly from her email here:
    Do you have the 2006 pattern-a-day calendar? Yesterday & Today's pattern was "Ancient Mariner Socks" -- made with Sailor's Delight yarn from Jocelyn Fiber Farms, in a cable/lace pattern designed to look like nautical rope-tying ('faggoting' it says . . . I assume 'rope-tying' is an adequate substitute).
    Nautical . . . Mariner . . . Socks . . . Sailor's Delight . . . Socks.
    Seems to me these could have been custom-designed just for you. If you haven't yet chosen a Sock #100 project, maybe this should be it.
    Doesn't something like that make you feel all warm and gooey and full of knitblog love? While we're on that topic, go tell Liz she's awesome, especially with her back-to-back entries for The Amazing Lace.

    As tickled pink as I am, I don't know if I'll get these on the needles to be Sock #100. Currently I have some Trekking socks that may or may not make an August birthday (got to get trekking first), my New England Socks from Knitting on the Road, and a plain black 2x2 ribbed pair. I try to only have 2 pairs of socks on the needles at a time, but this pattern looks nice and versatile. If I wanted to be "efficient" with my knitting, I'd make them in black so I can wear them to work. . . but I really like the varigated version. Good thing I, uh, "discovered" some sock yarn in the stash, isn't it?

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Liz said...

    "all warm and gooey and full of knitblog love" indeed. I'm blushing over here!

    6/21/2006 6:36 AM  
    Blogger sheep#100 said...

    I have that calendar - I am about to dive into it to look at that cool pattern in person.

    6/21/2006 6:47 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I think that is a fine idea (abandoning all your carefully laid out plans) - though I understand the perils of starteritis! Are you using your new bamboo needles for the socks? Do you love them?

    6/21/2006 4:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those Ancient Mariner socks are cool! I can't even fathom what it must be like to be on sock #100, since I haven't managed to knit even ten pairs of socks yet. But I'll be tuned in to your progress! =)

    6/22/2006 10:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aw, that's so nice! I'm telling you, though, don't make sock pair #100 a whatever-comes-off-the-needles thing. It has to be special! It'll be a long time to the next big sock milestone, so you should make this one good.

    6/22/2006 1:18 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home