Wednesday, June 28, 2006

  • Main Page
  • I Trekked

    The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach. -Henry Beston


    In before the end of June . . . for the Trek Along With Me knitalong I trekked with my Trekking socks. (That was the idea, wasn't it?)

    As part of MyNewCaliforniaLifestyle, I went on my first-ever beach hike (with sock):

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


    Other than the fabulous view, the good hiking, the blessedly cool breeze and cloud cover (seriously - too much sun can get to you), the best part was not getting laughed at when I asked my hiking companion to take this picture:

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


    . . . You never know about people you haven't known very long. You may notice that I was barefoot for part of this, but it was still a real hike. We walked about 5 miles from the beach up into the cliffs of Torrey Pines State Reserve. We took our shoes off to wade through the incoming tide (parts of this route are "swim only" during high tide, but we made it with only a little bit of water on our shorts), and then put them back on to avoid the pine needles.

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Lynda said...

    Look at you - loving your NewCaliforniaLifestyle!!

    6/28/2006 12:28 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    That hike sounds amazing. You'll have to tell me your route so I can try it sometime.

    6/28/2006 12:40 PM  
    Blogger Emma said...

    Wow, looks like a great walk. beautiful beach!

    6/28/2006 12:45 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You look so happy in your new home! (I refuse to believe you can get too much sun; those of us on the East Coast would love to visit you and try that out right now!!).

    Congratulations on finishing your socks!

    6/28/2006 2:17 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    What a nice trek! It'd be a welcome change from our 90+ degree trekking here!
    I do so love the beach - jealous!

    6/28/2006 2:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Torrey Pines is definitely a great place to trek!

    6/28/2006 3:37 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I am totally envious! As you might have guessed, the rain has yet to let up in New England.

    6/28/2006 3:48 PM  
    Blogger Larjmarj said...

    Wow..looks like an awsome spot. I soooooo need a vacation. I'll take a weekend in Toledo at this point!

    6/28/2006 4:04 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Nice Trek! Hey, taking off your shoes & hiking the beach can be one heck of a workout. The traction is off.

    So pretty.

    6/28/2006 4:16 PM  
    Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

    looks like fun. this brings back memories. years ago I visited Torrey Pines State Reserve and thought it was very special.
    thanks.

    6/28/2006 6:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ohmyGOODNESS! That looks like it was a lovely trek! Thank you for sharing the pictures, lovely : )

    6/28/2006 7:07 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    lovelovelove Torrey Pines!

    6/28/2006 8:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a fantastic view!!! Great trek!

    6/29/2006 12:32 AM  
    Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

    Wonderful photos. I want to go there! So does my knitting.
    Li

    7/01/2006 6:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That sounds like a fantastic day. I like overcast weather for a beach hike -- I think it's very atmospheric. And SO glad to hear your companion didn't bat an eye at the sock. It's a good way to judge someone's character, I think. :)

    7/08/2006 4:45 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home