Friday, September 22, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Eye Candy Friday

    Save a boyfriend for a rainy day - and another, in case it doesn't rain.
    -Mae West

    I've been enjoying all the Eye Candy Friday posts around, and after much delay, I'm joining in to introduce you to the other reason (you know, other than that whole intern thing) that life in San Diego is so great (and busy):

    Meet J. He's the new eye arm candy around here. Isn't he cute? He's one of the good ones - brilliant, funny, brings me flowers. Wouldn't you want to spend your time off with him if you could?

    But this is not just any gratuitous Eye Candy post. No, no, this is a post about knitting. See, J knows that I knit. Has known, even since before we were dating. And to his credit, he has never once even hinted that maybe I have too much yarn. He even took this photo. He readily concedes that he doesn't "get" blogging, but we had a conversation like this last night:

    Me: J, I have a question for you. You can totally say no and I won't be at all upset.
    J: [abject panic] What is it? [more panic] Whatever it is, you can tell me.
    Me: Can I put you on my blog?
    J: [deep sigh of relief] Of course. Didn't I tell you that at least a month ago?
    Me: I don't think so. But thanks. It'll be for eye candy Friday. I'm using the photo from sailing.
    J: Whatever you want.
    [pause] Is this about how you won't knit for me?
    Me: Yup.
    J: Am I going to look like an idiot?
    Me: Never.


    So without making J look like an idiot . . . a conversation sparked by his first view at the entirety of my handknit sock collection, all in their lovely sock boxes:

    J: [in a cautious, diplomatic tone] So you, uh, store your handknit socks in special boxes?
    Me: Yup, my friend Kate made them for me.
    J: [abandoning that line of questioning entirely] How long does it take to make something? Socks? A hat? A scarf?
    Me: You know I can't knit for you, right?
    J: [indignant now] Why not?
    Me: [solemnly] It's bad luck. The Boyfriend Sweater Curse.
    J: The what?
    Me: The Boyfriend Sweater Curse. You can't knit for your boyfriend. It's bad luck, a jinx.
    J: [long pause] Well, I wouldn't want you to think we're jinxed. If that's what you'd really think.

    Let me tell you, he sounded pretty disappointed for a guy who is always hot, never cold, and wore nothing but scrubs in the middle of winter in Wisconsin.

    As far as The Boyfriend Sweater Curse goes, mark me firmly in the true believer column. And now for my completely gratuitous photo:

    You wouldn't want to jinx that either, would you?

    32 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Indeed, all I can say is, "Awwwww!"

    Don't knit for that one! Which is too bad, since it sounds like he'd really appreciate it.

    Hey, I'm in NY. I STILL haven't sat down and emailed people to let them know, because I'm swamped with--wait for it--grad school (costume design)! I know! But I'm annoyed at the universe for getting me back up to New England just when you move out west. At any rate, my brother is down there and a couple of other people, so now I just have more people to visit the rare times that I get to go!

    9/22/2006 3:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PS. Still on a hands-related knitting moratorium, though hopefully seeing the end of it. But Latvian mitten-a-long still a no go. Now something of a non-issue for you I suspect (those frigid SD winters!), but I'm going to be wanting some mittens soon so I maintain hope.

    9/22/2006 3:43 AM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    definitely wouldn't want to jinx that! what a cute post. :)

    9/22/2006 3:47 AM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    I don't know which is better to look at on a 48 degree Friday morning - the cute boyfriend, or the backgrounds of beach and boat and sun! You two look great together, and no, don't jinx it.

    Maybe in a month he can have a dishcloth.

    9/22/2006 4:00 AM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    Definitely don't jinx it, especially if he hasn't complained about the yarn stash!

    The Boyfriend Sweater Curse sounds like those fairy tales in which people rid their homes of elves...I'm not making any connections, I'm just saying.

    9/22/2006 4:08 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    You look adorable together!

    9/22/2006 4:17 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    What a cutie! Great for eye-candy Friday!

    9/22/2006 4:19 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    That "curse" didn't work for me! Of course he's the husband now and I'm still knitting sweaters for him ;-)

    Has J showed an interest in learning to knit?

    9/22/2006 5:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He sounds like quite the catch! I have the following questions:

    1) Does he go by J, or are you just using his initial? Because one of my other friends just started dating someone who goes just by J.

    2) How did you meet? Is he in your residency program? Your year? I need more specs.

    3) Not even socks? You could even make him a pair of socks?

    Congrats on this very excellent reason for being so busy!

    9/22/2006 6:29 AM  
    Blogger shireen said...

    Wow- you move fast! :) It seems like only yesterday that you went to San Diego. (though, i admit my sense of time is completely warped right now). glad to hear it's going well.

    9/22/2006 6:37 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Great post! Cute guy - cute conversations :o)

    9/22/2006 6:42 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    No, don't jinx it. You happiness and smitten-ness (is that a word?) shines through your post. Thanks for the smile on an otherwise blah day!

    9/22/2006 6:45 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Hey, he is cute! And he sounds awfully intelligent, what with somewhat understanding your knitting and all. I'm not suggesting that you knit for him, but one of the first things I knit about 38 years ago was a vest for my "friend" (who wasn't really a boyfriend yet). We will celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary on October 14th.
    dswaite@mac.com

    9/22/2006 7:36 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I think that curse only applies to sweaters. Socks, hats, etc, are OK, I'm sure. Knit for the boy! He'll love it!

    9/22/2006 8:45 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think a hat or scarf would be okay.... sweaters are reserved for husbands, and that's only when you've been married for over four years!!

    9/22/2006 9:04 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    He's a cutie patootie! I think I agree about the Boyfriend Sweater Curse, although I think socks/hats/scarves/etc are safe -- much less labour-intensive. ;-)

    9/22/2006 10:33 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not in this lifetime!

    What a cutie!!

    9/22/2006 11:18 AM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    No wonder that new-california-lifestyle is agreeing with you!

    9/22/2006 1:17 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Awww! I wouldn't want to jinx that either.

    9/22/2006 1:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought the curse only applied to sweaters? Socks should be OK, but why run the risk.

    9/22/2006 2:14 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How does Felix feel about being second fiddle these days?
    I think from the advice above, you have a target for the century sox.
    Thrilled that you're happy and doing well.
    Love you,

    9/22/2006 2:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PS--I don't have an opinion about cute in relation to guys, however, I was impressed when I met J. Nice guy, bright, from Wisconsin, etc.

    9/22/2006 2:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wouldn't jinx it either. However, I have my now hubby my very first knitting project. A hugely long garter stitch scarf that grew about 3 feet over the years. He's from WI and a med student too, so maybe the curse doesn't apply to guys from WI involved in the medical field? (See, we can justify anything we need to.)

    9/22/2006 5:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oops, that should be GAVE hubby my first knitted project.

    9/22/2006 5:16 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    AWWWWWW...you guys look so CUTE! So you both managed to get stationed to the same place??

    9/22/2006 7:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yournewcalifornialifestyle is treating you well! Isn't it nice to have your dad's stamp of approval on the new beau?

    9/23/2006 6:48 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    No, I certainly wouldn't want to jinx that! Your suitor is quite spiffy... that photo of the two of you makes me think of American flags and apple pies.

    9/23/2006 9:28 AM  
    Blogger DeeAnn said...

    Now that might be worth interupting knitting for :-) Enjoy your eye candy! But at least consider knitting the guy a pair of socks, especially if he helps with the photo shoots - that is definite bonus points.

    (LOL - the verfication word for the comment starts out YUM...)

    9/23/2006 10:39 AM  
    Blogger cindy said...

    I'd knit him at least 10 dishcloths!!!!!

    9/23/2006 6:41 PM  
    Blogger judy said...

    good on you!
    Knit one sock, if he lasts the year, knit the other. Is that too harsh?? lol

    9/24/2006 4:58 PM  
    Blogger Reese said...

    so the sweater curse isn't just for sweaters? it's for anything you know for the boy? Hmm.........

    9/25/2006 5:48 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You guys are so cute! Brings you flowers AND is disappointed about not getting handknits, he's a keeper.

    9/26/2006 11:41 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home