Tuesday, September 19, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Iron on Tuesday

    Wash on Monday
    Iron on Tuesday
    Mend on Wednesday
    Churn on Thursday
    Clean on Friday
    Bake on Saturday
    Rest on Sunday
    -Traditional

    I am back from my combat medicine course in the wilds of somewhere-outside-of-San Antonio, a great experience that really made me appreciate not only the hard work done by medical personnel on the front lines, but also just how comfortable my bed is. There are photos, which will appear one of these days, but in the meantime I'm busy getting caught up on all the stuff I didn't do during 2 weeks away. . . i.e. errands and chores. Some thoughts on that:

    I first encountered that traditional saying above in the immortal works of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Did you know that she wrote a housekeeping column for a newspaper in the Ozarks for many years? That would be after she and Manly moved out of the prairie after The First Four Years. At any rate, I generally like to think of myself as living a good hundred, hundred and fifty years ago. With modern plumbing and antibiotics, of course. And I'm also a bit of a, ahem, well, scheduled person. I like my routines. So I've adapted a version of the above for my life and times.

    Wash on Monday - laundry
    Iron on Tuesday - all that clean laundry to iron, right?
    Mend on Wednesday - I approach this metaphorically and mend my financial affairs. I pay my bills, take care of paperwork, all that jazz.
    Churn on Thursday - Nope, none of that either. Generally I clean the dry areas of my apartment - living room, bedroom, carpets.
    Clean on Friday - Here's the real cleaning - kitchen and bathroom.
    Bake on Saturday - Not as a chore, but often as a hobby.
    Rest on Sunday - I do, but I also change the sheets on my bed. Something to wash on Monday.

    The beauty of a schedule like this is not so that my mother thinks I'm rigid. No, the beauty of it is actually it's flexibility. If I have a really busy Tuesday for some reason, just my ironing is behind. It doesn't throw off anything else, and then I'll do double the ironing next week. The other real joy is that I don't spend my every beautiful sunny Saturday morning in San Diego doing chores, because by then they are all pretty much done.

    And this is a post on a knitting blog because . . . after I did laundry last time, I noticed that all but one of my warshcloths were all clean and together. Without going into detail about the subschedules of my laundry (doesn't everyone do that?), let's just rejoice in how well-loved and well-used these warshcloths are.Are you overwhelmed by the effect of all of them together? Check out this one, the first one I ever knit (about 4-5 yrs ago if I recall correctly). It used to be blue and yellow, and now it's basically a bleached out grey.I'm strangely proud of that . . .

    18 Comments:

    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I aspire to a dishrag drawer like that! Of course, I am an avowed sponge user, so I knit dishcloths, which are twice as long. But useful and lovely.

    I am trying to develop a routine like yours as well. And since I am a home-maker, I should probably have done it a long time ago.

    9/19/2006 6:07 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Welcome back! I think schedules are the way to go.

    9/19/2006 6:38 AM  
    Blogger Jenna said...

    I definitely envy your schedule! In our household it's more like... wash every three weeks... clean when we can't stand it anymore... what's an iron again? But anyway. Your washcloth collection is lovely! I've been meaning to start my own.

    9/19/2006 6:47 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    I should give those dishcloths a try. Only ones I have were purchased by my MIL!

    9/19/2006 6:49 AM  
    Blogger Punkin said...

    Welcome back!! I appreciate your wonderful warshcloths (that is how my parents say it!) It is inspiring. I recently bought 5 balls of Sugar & Cream, all different colors, so that I can start my own collection of warshcloths. On another note, I am thinking of starting the Master Knitter program. What benefits have you gotten from it?

    9/19/2006 9:08 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Welcome back! So glad to see you survived your training!

    I immediately recognized that ditty from the Laura Ingalls Wilder books...tryed to do it once. Actually, I use a Flipper File cleaning system that has modified it to some degree. I had also heard that she wrote a housecleaning column. I think my girls and I did a unit study on a few of the Little House books when they were young.

    9/19/2006 10:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The washclothes are great. My 3 yo son's favorite washcloth is one that I knit more than 10 years ago as one of my first projects.

    9/19/2006 10:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I actually think it speaks very highly of the yarn that it seems to have held up so incredibly well even after the colors have long since faded. What a nice collection of warshcloths you have!


    I am impressed by your schedule, especially given that I'm guessing that on some days you don't even see your apartment.

    9/19/2006 10:40 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I would love to keep a clean house, on schedule. But, somehow, it just never gets done.

    And, yes, there is a Knit Salon this week. Let me know if you plan to go, Nonnahs will be in town and that may persuade her to stop by...

    9/19/2006 1:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Please review Sense & Sensibility.

    9/19/2006 2:18 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Totally jealous of your dishcloth collection. I have a lovely little basket I'm trying to fill up, yet it remains woefully empty as I knit dishcloths for everyone but myself!
    Welcome back - we missed ya!

    9/19/2006 3:33 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    So, why do your washcloths look so spiffy? Mine are all stained and grungy. Do you bleach them? Plus, I keep cutting my on knives, etc.
    dswaite@mac.com

    9/19/2006 5:15 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Such order! Can't tell if the military is cause or effect.

    9/19/2006 5:18 PM  
    Blogger DeeAnn said...

    I love the sign of 'used' that begins to appear on something I've made - it is the one true sign of items you love. I'll have to start on the washcloth bin when I finish up the sock drawer :)

    9/20/2006 7:33 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I have a similar collection of Theresa-made washrags. Yay! And I love my potholders. They're the best.

    9/21/2006 6:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi T! Welcome back! Your schedule is to be admired especially the part about being flexible. Do your washcloths dry easily? Love, Mom

    9/22/2006 3:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's Hard Core!

    7/16/2007 11:06 AM  
    Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

    I love your schedule. If only I could do it. :-(

    7/30/2007 10:12 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home