Thursday, August 31, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Washing Up

    In this business, you can never wash the dinner dishes and say they are done.
    You have to keep doing them constantly.
    -Mary Wells Lawrence


    Just like the dishes keep piling up (incredible, that!), so do the dish rags. Here's the latest stashbuster. (Which would be why the white white white is so very tonally unrelated to the rest. Stashbusting.)

    Ballband the Second
    Pattern:
    Mason-Dixon Knitting Ballband Dishcloth
    Yarn: odd oddballs of Kitchen Cotton and Sugar and Cream
    Needles: US 7 Susan Bates aluminum
    Notes: I rarely use my aluminum straight needles, but when I'm making dishcloths it just seems right. I think it's a retro thing.
    Best Thing About This Project: Feeling virtuous on so many levels: knitting from the stash (and the oddball stash at that!), using the knitting, and - amazingly enough - doing dishes!


    So I know these are a dime-a-dozen around blogland these days, but why are we all still using standard unmercernized cotton? When are people going to start branching out into the novelty yarns? Think of all the scrubbing power of nylon.

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    Would knitting with nylon rip the skin off of your fingers? Imagine the nylon "sliding" through on each stitch.

    Ouch. Though it would be great in a kitchen.

    8/31/2006 12:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is the best dishcloth photo I've seen, and what a lovely dishcloth! I agree - novelty yarns have to be good for something!

    8/31/2006 1:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Um, no, thanks. Knitting with cotton is hard enough, but at least the end result is fun and sturdy. Not a wet soggy mess. Love the colors, btw!

    8/31/2006 2:34 PM  
    Blogger Kris said...

    I have to get my hands on that book. I love the pattern.

    8/31/2006 4:39 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Aha!! What a very good observation about the potential for novelty yarns in a warshrag application!!

    8/31/2006 5:28 PM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    That sounds suspiciously like a challenge, ma'am.

    8/31/2006 5:50 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I knit my warshrags on my susan bates straights too. I think the metal/cotton combo is best on the wrists. Yours looks great!

    8/31/2006 6:42 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I would love to have a fun fur washcloth just to freak guests out.

    8/31/2006 6:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Red white & blue! Nice dishcloth.

    Hmm. Eyelash yarn? Muppet dishcloths?

    8/31/2006 7:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As I pointed out to my sister - if you spend more than an hour knitting it, it's a dishCLOTH not a dishRAG - LOL!

    I've been wanting to try the pattern but can't seem to break out of the DW mold. Yours looks great!

    8/31/2006 10:24 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    It's very patriotic - how appropriate!

    9/01/2006 6:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There will be no novelty yarns in my kitchen! I must get this book before I am the last knitter on earth not to have it ; )

    9/01/2006 11:02 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, you have just hit on a wonderful idea for gifts! Everytime the recipient washes dishes they will think of you and smile! Happy knitting! Love, Mom

    9/01/2006 4:27 PM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    Great dishcloth, and great photo!! (I prefer cotton to any sort of scrubby nylon thingie myself. It gets cleaner because you can wash it in the hot washing machine.)

    9/01/2006 9:55 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That photo looks like one for a book, not someone's real apartment. Spotless, uncluttered, cheery red dish drain, bright, clean, contrasting green soap. Is that because you just moved in or because you're just remarkably tidy all the time?

    9/02/2006 2:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home