Sunday, September 24, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Inquiring Minds

    Courtesy is as much the mark of a gentleman as courage.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

    Inquiring minds all around . . . It wasn't my Eye Candy Friday post so much as all your comments on it that sparked another fascinating conversation with my beau. He was a little incredulous that so many of you a) read my blog and b) took the time to comment. The collective you had all sorts of questions, and J had a whole host of his own. Still protesting that he didn't "get" blogging, he had me go through your comments (and questions).

    . . . Then he proceeded to badger me about why I won't knit him socks. Clearly, it's time for a collective Q&A session.

    Q: If Stephanie, Nikki, and Knitzalot all think I can make him socks, why won't I?
    A: Ladies, don't tell him this, but it's the size 12 feet. Maybe I'm spoiled, but my feet are about half the size of his. Plus, that whole jinx thing. I've heard it said that

    Make a man a hat, his head will turn.
    Make a man mittens, he'll wave good-bye.
    Make a man socks, he'll walk away.

    While Rachel joined in the above call for sock knitting, she was emphatic: "I need more specs!"

    Q: Does he go by J, or are you just using his initial?
    A: Both. His name starts with J, so I call him J in real life and now on the blog. He calls me T, among other things. All flattering, of course.

    Q: How did you meet? Is he in your residency program? Your year?
    A1: Ah, yes. My boyfriend, the Navy doctor. (OK, so I'm a Navy doctor, too. But it does have a certain ring to it, doesn't it?) First, the objective details - he's a surgery intern here. He's about 10 weeks older than me and he outranks me by exactly 2 days. To add to the fun, in this current seven day span, one or both of us is on call 4/7 days. Isn't it wonderful that we can bond over all these shared experiences?

    A2: And the subjective. You wouldn't think that how we met would be such a subject of controversy, would you? Let's work backwards: We recognized each other when we came to San Diego in June. We definitely knew each other as medical students at Naval Medical Center - Portsmouth (Virginia) last October, probably because we had met - if only briefly - when we were both here in San Diego last September. It turns out, however, that we attended Officer Indoctrination School ( yes, they do call it that with a straight face) together about three years ago. J is pretty convinced that we met there. I have absolutely no recollection of this. That might be forgivable, except that my mom remembers meeting him at our OIS graduation. What are the odds he'll ever let me forget that one (for a second time . . .)? Shireen, do you still think we're moving fast?

    Turing back to some of J's questions. . .

    Q: Aren't you worried about meeting scary predators online?
    A: No. Aren't you worried that my dad had the same concern? Sheesh.

    Q: So how much of your personal life is on the blog?
    A: Knitting is a metaphor for life. Plus, my mom reads my blog.

    He began to seem mildly reassured after pursuing this line of questioning. He thought the tone I hit with the Eye Candy Friday post was good. Just the right combination of what Liz calls "smitten-ness" and reserved humor. So after my protestations that no parolees named Bubba had ever tried to contact me via Knitting Underway, he began wrestling with exactly how these blogs function. Public space. Private space. Somewhere in the middle. (I told you he was a smart one.) Expect some inspired navel-grazing on the meaning and nature of blogging later this week. In the meantime, I'll finish up with one last Q&A.

    Q: "Maybe in a month he can have a dishcloth," queried Elizabeth. More enthusiastic, Cindy thought that could be 10.
    A: He doesn't need his own dishcloths. He has full and unrestricted access to my dishcloth drawer. Yes, ladies, you heard correctly. My cute-brilliant-Navy-doctor boyfriend? He also does dishes.

    14 Comments:

    Blogger JayJay said...

    And he does dishes? He really is a keeper! I totally agree with the size 12 dilemma. My poor husband has size 11 feet!

    We would love to come down to San Diego to visit sometime and meet him again in person.

    9/24/2006 8:30 AM  
    Blogger GamecockDoc said...

    All that and he does dishes too... certainly a keeper! I think he deserves some knitting.

    Hope you get to enjoy some shared time off!

    9/24/2006 8:45 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Awwww. A dishes-doer! Mine does it, but complains the ENTIRE time.
    What if you make your man a scarf? I don't suppose those are really necessary in your newcalifornialifestyle.

    9/24/2006 11:00 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My boyfriend was once HORRIFIED to find out that I was not only going to meet people I'd met online but that we were going to travel arround NYC together all day. I explained that they were *knitters* but he was still worried that I was going to be kidnapped. ;o)

    I vote for no knitting except small accessories like hats and scarves. Good luck! He sounds great. Especially the washing dishes part (my BF has a tendency to say "I was going to do them. . .")

    9/24/2006 11:02 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Definitely a keeper!

    Let's see how long it takes him to start his own blog!

    9/24/2006 11:16 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Does dishes? Keep him!

    Last night I commented to my husband as I was kitchener-ing the toe of his size 12 sock that I could have knit a pair of socks for me in the time that took to make one for him! Size 12 definitely qualifies for the-sock-that-never-ends! My vote is to hold off on the socks for J unless you move to a COLDER climate then, by all means, knit him some socks and he will love you forever!

    Some guys just don't get the knitting blog thing especially when I start refering to you guys as 'my friend in San Diego' or 'my friend in Tampa' .....and DH still can't believe that DH means 'dear husband' as he thought it meant of 'dumb husband'

    9/24/2006 12:40 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    No knitting 'til there's a ring. That's just the way it is.

    9/24/2006 2:41 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If you go for the socks, clearly not fingering weight, but sport or even WW with those size feet! What fiber would you use in San Diego? Can't be much need for wool socks! LOL

    9/24/2006 3:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey baby, I know I'D like unrestricted access to your dishcloth drawer...if you know what I mean...heh heh heh.

    9/24/2006 3:14 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    See, I WAS right! You did meet at Officer's Training School! A Mom knows how to spot significant people in her child's life, even before she knows it! I say make him one of your beautiful scarves, for his visits home to his family. Take Care! Love, Mom

    9/24/2006 3:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I see Bubba finally showed up. I was wondering. It's cute how they all worry about us.

    Does dishes? Awesome! Does he cook too? I wouldn't knit him anything yet. Time sounds a wee bit scarce for you too right now, no?

    9/24/2006 8:44 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Hi. My name is Bubba. I've actually kidnapped Kate D. and I'm writing from her computer. I just wanted to let you know that I'm a scary pervert on parole and I'm looking to kidnap someone working on a ribby cardi. I'm going to abduct her to my evil lair where there IS NO YARN STORE... mwah ha ha... looks like your number's just come up...

    9/24/2006 9:38 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Wow I take 4 weeks offline and I've got T being harrassed by strange men named Bubba and people anctually encouraging her to knit for a (relatively) brand new boyfriend!!!!

    DO NOT KNIT FOR HIM. Better safe than sorry.

    And I'll take that "wait for a ring" saying and up it to "wait for TWO rings" assuming you get both engagement and wedding.

    In six years I haven't knit anything for Toasty Joe, not even a book mark. Or a beer cozy. I channel my want-to-knit-for-boyfriend/fiance urgins into knitting for his mom.

    Won't it be sweet when I give him his very first Flitgirl knitted item along with his present on our wedding day? Living together is one thing. Knitting for him is the true sign of a marriage.

    9/25/2006 7:53 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Keeper alert! Any man who does dishes is a KEEPER!!! ;-)

    I totally understand about the socks now. My guy's feet are 10.5s, and I swore after the first pair of socks I knit him that I would never make another. I could make two pairs of socks for me in the same amount of time!

    9/25/2006 6:35 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home