Saturday, October 07, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Music To My Ears

    It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter where you go
    If it's a million miles away or just a mile up the road.
    Take it in, take it with you when you go,
    Who says you can't go home?
    -Jon Bon Jovi and Jennifer Nettles, "Who Says You Can't Go Home?"

    Every now and again there seem to be a rash of music memes making the rounds, and I've recently gotten tagged by two. Gamecock Doc tagged me for a 7 song meme and Lorette (The Knitting Doctor) for a 10 song one. Both have the same basic concept - 7 (or 10) songs you are really into right now, for whatever reason.

    I must say that I've been listening to a lot more podcasts than music recently, so some of these are a bit of a stretch in my already-limited musical repotoire.

    1. Who Says You Can't Go Home? Jon Bon Jovi and Jennifer Nettles
    This was my "Song of the Summer." Doesn't every summer have a song? Ironic that this was the first summer I really moved far away from home. But it's a great, catchy song and holds out the promise of never being too far.

    2. The Grey's Anatomy Theme Song
    In spite of the fact that I have bad luck with being on call on Thursdays, I've been mostly keeping up thanks to a friend's VCR. And that theme song says a good hour of knitting to me. (Also, feel free to wander on over to Anatomy Lab to read the insightful conversations flitgirl, Kate D., and I have about McDreamy and McSteamy.)

    3. Son of a Preacher Man, Aretha Franklin version
    Dancing around the kitchen making dinner? This is my song.

    4. Maybe It Was Memphis, Pam Tillis
    This is the other dancing around the kitchen making dinner song.

    5. The Long Way Around, Dixie Chicks
    My dad gave me the new Dixie Chicks CD right before my drive to San Diego and it's still one of 3 CDs in my car so I hear it a lot. It has a nice sound, but I can't remember most of the words.

    6. Get Rhythm, Johnny Cash
    The other 2 CDs are a Johnny Cash compliation that my brother and I picked up in the middle of our road trip. After we listened to the entire contents of both our iPods.

    7. Orange Blossom Special, Johnny Cash
    Same as above.

    8. American Girl, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    The beau isn't wild about the only 3 CDs in my car, so he stuck a couple others in, including this one. It's what I turn on when he really can't stand my country music.

    9. Rocky Mountain High, John Denver
    Went on a mini road-trip yesterday to Julian. There was apple cider, apple pie, and they even have some oak trees that are changing color. Who doesn't want to listen to John Denver when driving there?

    10. Better Together, Jack Johnson
    I had to look up both the title and artist here, but it's on a CD I got as a favor at a friend's wedding. It looks like it's the most played song on iTunes list. I guess I'm just feeling it these days . . .

    And for tagging, we're all about equal opportunity around here. Tag yourself and let us know in the comments. And in the meantime, don't forget that you have until Monday to enter my contest.

    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oh my oh my. Aretha Franklin. Son of a Preacher Man. LOVE IT. My husband IS the son of a preacher man - that song gets me every time, and Aretha's version is the best, no matter how much I like Dusty Springfield.

    10/08/2006 3:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good list! Sounds like you're feeling quite upbeat these days. :)

    By the way, someone with as uncertain and busy a schedule as yours need TiVo. It will change your life, I swear.

    10/09/2006 6:50 AM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    Good choices! Johnny Cash, oh yes.

    10/11/2006 3:51 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Fabulous song list. So glad you added Johnny Cash... he's on my list, too!

    Check it out:
    http://dscribwomen.blogspot.com

    10/14/2006 3:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home