Sunday, October 01, 2006

  • Main Page
  • By My Leave

    This race and this country and this life produced me.
    I shall express myself as I am.
    -James Joyce, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

    The photos from my trip to Texas are long overdue. Now seems as good a time as any to show them, a) before we all forget that I've ever worn camoflague and b) because I'm off on Emergency Leave to go see an ailing family member. For all that the military can be awash in paperwork, hassles, and red tape, it took exactly one phone call to one person to get leave to be on a plane in four hours. It's a good thing, since Unauthorized Absence happens to be a felony. In spite of my new-and-improved every other day blogging schedule, then, I may miss the next couple of days as I do the planes, trains, and automobiles thing. Quality knitting time, that.

    Above on the right, knitting black ribbed socks in the USO in San Antonio. I'm smiling because I they give us cookies and I didn't have to do land nav yet. And below, a bunch of the San Diego folks. We're smiling because we get to return to San Diego the day after this photo was taken. I'm in the front on the right, in case you don't recognize me in my Kevlar.

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Hope all is well with the family - enjoy your knitting time if you can!

    9/30/2006 8:35 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wishing you and your family member good health.

    Travel safe and knit lots.

    9/30/2006 8:45 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    my thoughts are with you and your family ... wishing you travelling mercies! :)

    9/30/2006 9:53 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    I'm sorry you have someone in your family who is sick. Godspeed.

    10/01/2006 5:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do we not get to know what happened between those two photos? Or how much knitting was accomplished during the whole trip.

    Definitely thinking of you and your family on this most recent trip -- I'm sorry to hear that someone close to you is unwell.

    10/01/2006 7:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i'm so sorry to hear about your family member. i'm thinking good thoughts that things work out.

    10/01/2006 8:02 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Delightful photos!

    I'm sorry to hear that a family member is not doing so well... I'm sending all my good wishes your family's way.

    10/01/2006 11:41 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The photos are fabulous!

    I hope the family member is feeling better soon. Have a safe trip and let me know if you need anything. On more cheerful note, I have a long overdue birthday gift awaiting your return.

    10/01/2006 3:44 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    LOVE the photos!

    Hope all goes well with your ailing family member and I'm very glad you were on a plane within four hours. You and your family member are in my prayers.

    10/01/2006 4:10 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    My thoughts will be with you and your family. Thanks for the photos. Too cute :-)

    10/01/2006 5:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So sorry to hear about the ailing family member! But that's a pretty quick authorization, thank goodness.

    I didn't recognize you without the yarn in your hands.....;)

    10/01/2006 6:57 PM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    I'm so sorry to hear about your family member. You and s/he will be in my thoughts and prayers. In the meantime, thank you for all you do for us. Seriously.

    10/01/2006 8:39 PM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    There is something so... disconcerting? Unfamiliar? I don't know -- about seeing you knit in camoflage!

    I hope everything is alright with your family. Safe travels.

    10/02/2006 1:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh! Thinking good thoughts for you and your family, hope all works out well.

    10/02/2006 2:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thinking of you and your family.

    10/02/2006 9:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't think one's reaction to seeing someone in military fatigues is supposed to be, 'Aaaw, she looks so cute!', but that was mine, none-the-less!

    10/03/2006 6:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sending good thoughts for your family member, hope all is well.

    10/06/2006 10:18 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home