Thursday, October 26, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Meaning and Beauty

    Thou takest the pen - and the lines dance.
    Thou takest the flute - and the notes shimmer.
    Thou takest the brush - and the colors sing.
    So all things have meaning and beauty
    in that space beyond time where Thou art.
    How, then, can I hold back anything from Thee?
    -Dag Hammerskjold

    I've been talking about it for months. Literally. The new massive project. The two whole cones of Zephyr. The wedding gift to end all wedding gifts. I speak, of course, of the chuppah for flitgirl's July wedding.

    In my last post I regailed you all with the fascinating swatch saga. You all agreed that this is, indeed, a massive undertaking. Now, July is a little sooner than it seems when one is looking at spending most of the intervening months on the Internal Medicine wards or - for a change of pace - the ICU and CCU. And I must admit that there's a certain amount of intertia in planning a project so large. (Somewhere on the order of 7-8 feet square.) I had to choose the lace patterns. The needle sizes. Swatch. Deal with the emotional trauma when I realized that not all swatches do, in fact, lie. Decide that I had to go down 2 needle sizes from the swatch. But you've already heard all that. Now you probably want to know how it looks. It looks like lace in progress. But not bad progress, huh? Especially considering that it is about 6 feet across. Expect to see a lot of more of this lace-in-progress stuff. There's a ways to go.

    20 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Purty!

    10/27/2006 4:12 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Well, 6 feet across is sort of equal most shawl diagonals, so yes, excellant progress. And it's gorgeous!

    10/27/2006 4:19 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Absolutely beautiful. I've been waiting for you to start this and look forward to all the updates. You have one very fortunate friend.

    10/27/2006 5:35 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    At least you've started - that must feel good.

    10/27/2006 7:09 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    I am just amazed by this undertaking of the chuppah! What a special thing that you are doing for your friend.

    10/27/2006 8:35 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't often comment because I feel like a creep having to be *anonymous*, but I absolutely must delurk here to say --

    You are clearly the best friend ever. Wow.

    -Katherine

    katheroni7 at yahoo dot com

    10/27/2006 9:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looking good...

    10/27/2006 10:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It will obviously be lovely! And what a good friend you are!

    10/27/2006 10:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't believe you've made that much progress since yesterday! I've only done 8 rows of a 12-row sock pattern, and look at you! Redesigning, knitting enough to see the pattern, and 6 feet wide! And you're a doctor too! Amazing.

    Kim
    kimberly_nico at yahoo dot com

    10/27/2006 11:03 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it being knit up! No matter how slowly. In fact, slowly would make me feel better.

    10/27/2006 12:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Six feet across - oh my. And it looks like you have a couple inches of lovely lace already. Knowing how you whipped out the Olympic sweater, I have every confidence you'll finish the chuppah with time to spare.

    10/27/2006 2:40 PM  
    Blogger Reese said...

    Simply gorgeous!!!!

    10/27/2006 3:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It will be stunning! What a great friend you are!

    10/27/2006 6:28 PM  
    Blogger shireen said...

    Wow. that's a lot of pressure. It looks totally gorgeous.

    10/28/2006 6:15 AM  
    Blogger Pointywillowsticks said...

    First words out my mouth were (gasp) how beautiful.

    Jackie

    10/28/2006 9:16 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The dimensions of that lace project completely out you as NUTSNUTSNUTS. This AND internship? Whew.

    10/29/2006 3:14 AM  
    Blogger Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

    This is gorgeous! - and such a generous gift! I can't wait to read more.

    11/03/2006 10:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I also am going to start making DD#1 a chuppah, this week. Would you kindly share the pattern that you are doing?

    Maybe we can be Chappah knitting buddies to encourage each other to get this created?

    Thanks
    Esther Roe
    er20@cornell.edu

    12/28/2006 1:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Can you tell me where the pattern is available? Thank you.

    9/17/2007 12:59 PM  
    Blogger Arianne said...

    I, too, would absolutely love the pattern. I'm trying to knit one for myself. (although the pattern with modifications and yarn and such would be even better. :D)

    Arianne
    akahn@agnesscott.edu or
    malapert.maginality@gmail.com

    5/26/2008 11:13 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home