Monday, October 23, 2006

  • Main Page
  • My Little Slice of Autumn

    His house was perfect,
    whether you liked food, or sleep, or work,

    or story-telling, or singing,
    or just sitting and thinking, best,
    or a pleasant mixture of them all.
    -J.R.R. Tolkein

    As I briefly mentioned, I had about 20 hours on the East Coast this past weekend. It was pretty much the only slice of fall I'm going to get, and it was a gorgeous fall day. The air was crisp, the sky a brilliant blue, and the leaves all manor of changing colors. Rosi G.'s contest-winning suggestion of Falling Leaves is truely the perfect project right now, in ways I never could have foreseen. And so I made excellent progress on this pair this weekend.
    The bright green with red and gold accents is exactly my little slice of autumn. The observant among you will note that I'm making them top down with a heel flap. I can't help myself.

    I'm also moving right along with my New England Socks from Knitting on the Road - one down, one to go. Did I mention how irrationally in love with the eye of partridge heel flap I am? Or simple lace patterns in gorgeous yarn? Or the rhythmic motion of knitting, purling, yarning over? Again I'm rediscovering just how soothing, peaceful, and wholly satisfying it can be to take yarn and make something beautiful.

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So glad your visit to New England coincided with a perfect fall day.

    10/23/2006 6:05 PM  
    Blogger Bron said...

    hey i love that yarn!

    10/24/2006 2:41 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Gorgeous!

    10/24/2006 4:20 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where did you find the partridge heel flap? I love the way it looks!
    I'm so jealous of your 20 hrs of true fall.

    10/24/2006 8:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those Falling Leaves are coming out beautiful. Nice choice of yarn!!

    Thanks sooo much for my Claudia handpainted!! I can't wait to cast on something with them! Any suggestions?

    You inspired me to buy the Knitting on the Road book so that I could make those New England socks now that I've moved back to New York FROM New England. HA!

    10/24/2006 12:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope your little shot of autumn was enough to tide you over during those long, miserable, 65 degree San Diego winters! The socks should certainly help keep you in mind of that most lovely season in this part of the world, anyway.

    10/28/2006 2:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home