Tuesday, January 24, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Rose By Any Other Name

    Gardens are a form of autobiography. -Sydney Edison

    Thanks for all the lovely comments yesterday. I promise I will get photos soon, but part of the delay is that I don't actually have them yet because they were still too big to email. So maybe Roomie will see all the comments and send me some photos?

    Yesterday we waxed nostalgic about the weddings of two of my dearest friends. Roomie and her husband just celebrated their one year anniversary and are carefully storing their chuppah with all the care an heirloom deserves. Flitgirl is running around the Mid-Atlantic states meeting with rabbis, deacons, caterers, and what-have-you. Anyone who knows exactly (and I mean exactly) what kind of centerpieces she wants to best compliment the gardens on the grounds a solid year and a half before the wedding, well, . . . let's just say I wasn't surprised when she asked me what color ribbons should be tied around the poles supporting the chuppah.

    No, siree, not surprised at all. But it does inspire one to start creating this currently-theoretical chuppah.

    Let's recall our parameters: Size: 4.5 x 6 ft. White or ivory. Lace. That's about it.

    Let's talk options.

    Yarn: I'm thinking a wool-silk blend. Roomie's was 100% silk from Henry's Attic, Cascade Petite, I believe. It had a gorgeous sheen, but it was awfully heavy. I knit it on US3s at a gauge of 7-8 spi unblocked, about 6 spi blocked.
    For flitgirl, perhaps Silk and Ivory. Would that be too ivory, not enough white? I like the sheen from the silk, but I'm thinking of something airier and more delicate in appearance, knit on larger needles and blocked within an inch of it's life. Perhaps even a 100% wool? I'm aiming for fingering weight on US6-7s, I think. Laceweight would be nice and delicate, but most people will be viewing it from a distance, so I think fingering would be better. Suggestions welcome.

    Pattern: From the first moment flitgirl asked me to knit her chuppah, I knew what I wanted for the center pattern: Rose Trellis pattern from Barbara Walker's Treasury (examples here and here). June Oshiro used it to great effect in her wedding veil. [Pause in respect for a great work of art.] But then we need border patterns. Something similarly dainty and delicate, Romantic in every sense of the word, if you will. So I turn to my favorite online collection of lace edgings: Homework, from 1891. We are probably looking for two borders - an inside border with a straight edging and then an outside border with a scalloped or pointed edge.

    Here are some contenders:
    Of course, I still have to consult my books for an edging, and any suggestions are most welcome. I learned on the first chuppah that it is desirable to plan your edging before casting on for the center. It does not take care of itself later on. No, you have to take care of it instead.

    Please comment. Especially if it's your chuppah.

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    I like both the Rose Leaf Lace edgings - I think they look leaves, which would go nicely with the Rose Trellis theme.

    The magnitude of this project boggles me!

    1/24/2006 6:37 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, I really like the Rose Leaf Lace. I think it is the most delicate and romantic. Can't wait to see what you decide. Hope I get to see it in person like the last one. Unbelievable. Love, Aunt Carol

    1/24/2006 6:43 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    I like the single rose leaf lace. The double is, dare I say, too much. On the homework page, I like second column, second row, the floral edgings and insertions. The Anglophile one was pretty and interesting, but I can't quite envision how it would work.

    Not a big fan of diamonds, if you didn't know already (in knitting, obviously. The stones I am quite fond of).

    I defer to you in any and all particulars. You are an artist. You must have freedom to create!

    1/24/2006 8:04 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    I really like the wide English lace and the (single) Rose Leaf lace. This is quite an undertaking, I'm impressed!

    1/24/2006 1:42 PM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    I like the single rose leaf, too. Agree, that the double is too busy. Looking forward to further postings!

    1/24/2006 3:47 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Ooh, I like the Torchon or the Wide English. They're all beautiful though. I'm sure any pattern would look great. What a nice gift! I think that is really a great idea.

    1/24/2006 5:11 PM  
    Blogger Susan said...

    I am SO impressed - first argyle socks and now a chuppah! And your SECOND one! Wow! Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

    1/24/2006 8:41 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the wide English lace. This is an amazing gift you are giving your friends!

    And let us pause again in reflection of June's wedding veil...

    1/25/2006 4:55 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home