Friday, January 13, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Fearlessly Knitting Along

    triskaidekaphobia: fear of the number 13

    Friday is for Knitalong Updates:
    Two points make a line and today is the second consecutive Friday I've done it; therefore our course is clear and we are sailing boldly forward.*

    Crossed in Translation
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • I wound the single ball of Cascade 220 that I have. It's a start. The rest of the yarn is backordered and should come in a couple of weeks. Next up: Swatching.
    I'm finding that blogging about my intentions makes me more likely to follow through, as last Friday I finally got around to winding my yarn after posting about it. It's going to be a stormy rainy long weekend so, after going to see Body Worlds at the Franklin Institute, I have high hopes for getting the swatch done.

    Stashalong
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • Still haven't bought any yarn! Wow - 13 whole days. So far, no real withdrawal symptoms, either. As a coffee addict fan, I know what withdrawal feels like - when all the Navy med students were doing our officer training, they decided it would be "character building" to go without coffee for the month we were there. 300 med students. No coffee. Lots of push-ups. No coffee. Lectures. No coffee. And here I thought the uniforms were khaki so that the spilled coffee wouldn't show . . .
    The two official Stashalong sweaters, Rogue and Winter Folly, are coming along nicely. Stay tuned for detailed pattern analysis next week. I have opinions.

    Count Your Socks
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • I have have 39 pairs of socks for me in that box o'socks, but overall have knit 89 pairs. I'm currently working on pairs 90 (Canal du Midi from Knitting on the Road), 91 (Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks), 92 ("Plain Joe" 2x2 ribbed men's socks in Trekking XXL), and 93 (Those D*&*(&ned Argyle Socks) - all gifts. As I like to say, handknit socks can only be had (around here) for love and not for money. This is love. . . . and Nancy Bush appreciation week - why did Knitting in Estonia go out of print before I got my copy?

  • It's NOT a Gift
  • The sock knitting may be gifts, but my sweaters, including the still-to-be-swatched Am Kamin, or whatever the Crossed in Translation sweater is called. And we're moving right along - I finished the back of Winter Folly last night, and we're still knitting Rogue-ish-ly handsome (sorry - couldn't resist) sleeves. I give you fair warning, however, that the mother of all gift knitting is coming next week. It's a wedding gift like you've (probably) never seen before.

    Knit the Classics
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • January Book: Mrs. Dalloway - I've listened to 4/7 CDs (mostly while knitting and embroidering Christmas ornaments - can anyone find a connection for me there), and I'll have to finish the last 3 and return the set to the library before I go back to Providence next week.
    Themed-Project: Flora. I wound the yarn. It's a start. See above.

    *And, in a tangentially related book recommendation: Dava Sobel's Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time is a quick but worthwhile read.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Whew!! I remember that I enjoyed reading Longitude, altho the details of it have long since escaped me.

    Now, do you think knowing that you have backordered yarn that will show up sometime is helping you with Stashalong? Curious, because I had two yarn orders placed at the end of December. Both have arrived now and there's now new yarn on the horizon...... eep.

    1/13/2006 9:24 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In the interests of delurking, let me say I am VERY impressed with your sock count. I guess I have lots of catch-up to do.

    Me? Flunked stashalong (unofficial follower). Found some unbelievable superfine alpaca...then some handspun llama...I am weak.

    1/13/2006 4:38 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    LLLLLOVE Cascade 220.

    And, I tell ya, 89 pairs of socks.... I'll never get over it, everytime I see that number. Did you start knitting when you were 3?

    1/13/2006 6:13 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    BodyWorlds is something that I'd love to see - sooner rather then later! Unfortunetly it isn't a days drive away anytime soon.

    what are your favorite colors...and sock size?

    1/14/2006 7:31 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Let me know how the Cascade works out for the CiT sweater--I'm lurking there and trying to decide what yarn to try. Just popping through on weekly Stashalong patrol. Happy knitting!

    1/15/2006 8:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My god, lady, that's a lot of socks!

    1/25/2006 7:17 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home