Sunday, January 01, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Heart on Your Sleeve

    To wear your heart on your sleeve isn't a very good plan;
    you should wear it inside where it functions best.
    -Margaret Thatcher, 1987 interview with Barbara Walters


    A holiday present being gifted today; a hold-over project wrap-up from last week. This was a quick knit hat, the last of the Christmas presents that I had almost started calling a Valentine's Day gift. Just in the nick of time . . .

    Heart Hat
    Pattern: Family Circle Easy Knitting Fall 2002 (lots of great baby hat patterns in this issue)
    Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Yarn Over (red), Yarn for Sox (brown)
    Needles: US 9 Brittany Birch straights
    Notes: This is a baby hat upsized by using thicker yarn and larger needles. The heart in the pattern is in reverse st st; I used intarsia. This hat has an unusual construction - it is knit as a large rectangle, seemed up the back, and then the top is made into 4 points. The pattern calls for binding off and sewing; I used a three-needle bind-off for the relevant section. Hard to see in the photo, but there is a braided tassel in each corner.
    Best Thing About This Project: This was a special request knit. A good friend saw the baby hat I had made from this pattern and really really wanted one in her size. I think I made it look almost mature by changing the colors from the baby pink and yellow.

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Lynda said...

    Yeah - it's the Heart Hat!

    1/01/2006 10:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooo, love the hat!

    1/02/2006 7:56 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    It looks great! And the tassles are easy to see. :)

    1/02/2006 8:00 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    cute hat! Just stopping by on my weekly Stashalong check.

    1/02/2006 2:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am the lucky recipient of the Heart Hat, and let me say: it is fabulous. I love it. I knew I would love it (I mean I asked for it) but it is even more perfect than I thought. It makes me feel like a cat alien powered by L.O.V.E. Thank you, Theresa!

    1/03/2006 11:03 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home