Friday, December 30, 2005

  • Main Page
  • Life Is Choices

    Life is choices. -Rob Orr, my high school biology teacher

    A second post today, because I have a pressing question. Let's contemplate this photo:This gorgeous sweater is from Vogue Knitting Fall 2004 (one of the best issues of any knitting magazine anywhere).

    Pros:
    • Classic Elite Inca Alpaca (I'll let you pause for a moment of silent reflection)
    • great color (the one in the photo is the one I have)
    • cables
    • lace
    • a real pleasure to knit and wear
    • I've started - I'm done the bottom ribbing on the back
    • I can clearly knit more than one thing at a time - it won't be my only project
    • a pattern that is just so me
    • I fell in love with it when it came out, had to have it, and bought the yarn
    Cons:
    • the center cable pattern is not charted
    • it involves patterning on both the RS and WS
    • alpaca is warm and toasty
      • so why is it 3/4 sleeves
      • with large eyelets in it?
      • I'm moving to San Diego
    • US 5 needles - this is an involved project
    • I'm only done 2 inches of ribbing
    • opportunity cost: I want to make Rogue, Ribby cardi, the Crossed in Translation KAL, fair isle mittens, more lace shawls . . .
    • there are only so many hours in the day
    So what's the verdict? Help me out here. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve, an auspicious day to rip it out and start fresh. Is it also an auspicious day to tackle those instructions again and start the knitting fresh. Should I make this sweater now or rip it out and leave it a faint memory?

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Charleen said...

    Rip it out. Keep the yarn for your Ribby cardi, a shawl, or for a present for a cold weather friend.

    I love the pattern and it would be great in a cotton or cotton blend - would suit San Diego weather better too.

    12/30/2005 8:10 AM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    I say rip it out too. It's gorgeous, but you'll probably only be able to wear it if you turn the air conditioner on full blast or if San Diego inexplicably gets cold weather and even if that does happen, it will last a day.

    12/30/2005 10:30 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Yeah, I'm on the rip it out boat, too. San Diego. 'Nuff said. Make a Rogue cardigan from some sort of silk or cotton blend and you'll actually be able to wear it out there.

    And using the alpaca for a shawl or gift for a northern friend sounds like a fine idea.

    12/30/2005 12:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rip it. Inca alpaca is really warm. It also has no memory and stretches. That needs to be taken into account when sizing, and isn't a "quick knit" type of project. And you wilil have to wear stuff under the sweater, especially as it stretches, with that reveal through the eyelets.

    My husband's Inca alpaca ribbed sweater is STILL growing.

    12/30/2005 4:03 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Theresa! SO GLAD you left a comment on my blog so I could find you! Anyone who considers "opportunity cost" when choosing knitting projects is my kind of person. (I went to UVA law school -- a law and economics kind of place.)

    OK, I think I have to agree with Charleen. Look for an alternative yarn. This is a pretty sweater that would be good for a warm climate if it weren't alpaca. Two more thoughts about the pattern:

    1. Center cable not charted?! Yikes!

    2. Why three-quarters sleeves? Well, I like them even in a cold weather sweater because they don't get in the way. Long sleeves just get pushed up on me anyway. And if you're going outside, you're going to be wearing a coat and gloves anyhow. But for San Diego? Perfect!

    12/31/2005 3:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with the rest. Rip it and knit something you can wear (comfortably) in San Diego.

    12/31/2005 8:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home