Friday, December 30, 2005

  • Main Page
  • Five for 2005

    Ring out the old, ring in the new,
    Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
    The year is going, let him go;
    Ring out the false, ring in the true.
    -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

    I see reflections and resolutions popping up everywhere. Here are mine.

    Top 5 for 2005:
    1. New Technique: Blogging. Seriously. I know there are plenty of new and exciting knitting things I did this year, but most of them are variations on a theme. A larger colorwork project, a different angle for lace, things like that. With the blog, I learned how to use a digital camera (yeah, I had a lot to catch up on), learned a lot more about my computer, and realized just how important it is to leave comments when I visit other blogs.
    2. Favorite Finished Object: So many to choose from . . . For myself, it's a toss-up between my self-designed Aran and Ene's scarf. But overall, I think I'll stick with the best gift I gave this year - my mom's Norwegian Roses Cardigan.
    3. Favorite Knit-a-along: This is easy - I only joined one: Who Wouldn't Want a Handknitted Gift?
    4. Favorite Shop: Sakonnet Purls in Tiverton Four Corners, RI. Hands down my favorite place to spend an afternoon. I'm going to miss this so much when I leave New England.
    5. Favorite Tool: Don't laugh, but I love this little cardboard (it's really sturdy, OK?) 6" ruler that I got for free at some store-front LYS in Missoula, MT. We stopped on a road trip about 4 years ago (and I got the yarn for this). It fits into my sock knitting bag and is perfect for checking the length of socks subtly, without rolling out the tape measure. A close second are the clear plastic ones (also 6") that my dad brings me from work (which are fabulous for measuring gauge swatches).

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    I've been to Sakonnet Purls. It was a lovely way to spend a New England fall day. I can certainly understand missing such a nice store.

    12/30/2005 12:40 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Tennyson. Sigh. And one of my favorite poems, too.

    Is there anyway to knit Tennyson into something? Does this require more knitting or more literary knowledge than I possess?

    1/03/2006 10:46 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home