Thursday, December 22, 2005

  • Main Page
  • Know But Do Not Tell

    Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.
    -Emily Dickinson


    The Homestretch

    The knitting around here could be more exciting.

    Look, it's a sock:

    This is a wool boot sock for someone with very large feet. I am knitting it rather tightly for better wearing and longevity. It is a lovely sock, but the recipient is definitely in possession of both feet.

    Meme, meme, meme.

    Grumperina sent out a question into cyberspace the other day:

    How about you? Who knows about your knitting and your knitting blog, and what are your reasons for revealing (or not) its existence to these folks? Don’t just leave me a comment – rather consider this a meme and answer on your own blog ;)

    I have no secrets. No secret identity. No real separation between my life in actual time and space and my life in blogland. I can't even keep a straight face to play poker.

    After starting my blog, I was pondering if I was going to tell family and friends about it, mostly so that they wouldn't see their gifts in progress. Since I'm on vacation and at my parents' house, however, I think that lasted until about 5 minutes into dinner:

    "So, what did you do today?"
    "I started a knitting blog."

    Wouldn't I make a great secret agent?

    In fact, my dad (Hi Dad!) is one of my biggest fans. He likes to show my blog to people - family, friends, people at work, sort of a combination of "beautiful knitting" and "too much time on her hands." He's only commented once, and that was posing as Hannah, Portuguese Water Dog on your right. And he thinks I have too much time on my hands . . .

    My mom knows that my blog exists, just like she knows that her Christmas present is currently blocking upstairs, but I don't think she'd be able to find it if my dad weren't showing it to her. My parents were having dinner with theflitgirl's parents and accidentally outed her blog.

    Who else? My sister thinks my blog is "too funny," but I don't think she really reads it. My brother grunted and shrugged. And most of my real life friends know it exists, but I think Kate D. and flitgirl are the only really regular readers. Even my knitting friends aren't really into the blog thing. Others? Leave a comment. Flitgirl showed her boyfriend, who promptly requested a hat. This could be a dangerous trend. . .

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Elinor said...

    I laughed pretty hard when I stopped in at your blog today because I'm working on a VERY similar sock right now! The light blue is darker than yours but otherwise, it's pretty close! I'll probably post a pic on my blog this evening. I'm at the toe that will never end. *sigh* The wearer is a man with size 12 feet. ugh.

    It was interesting to read your blogland/real world bit. I just started my blog this month and I haven't decided if I'm going to tell people mostly because it might ruin gift surprises. Also, since not many of my friends and family knit or have another obsessive hobby, they think I'm weird enough without a blog! Haaaaaa!

    12/22/2005 2:50 PM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Um, if all readers and their associates are getting gifts - I'll take some lovely socks, please!! I'm particularly enamored of purple. Thanks! ;P

    12/22/2005 4:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're at the home stretch with your socks. Incidentally, my mother likes to recite a little poem when looking at my size 8 feet (she wears a size 5):

    "Who's that walking down the street, are they shovels or are they feet?"

    Thanks Ma.

    12/23/2005 5:16 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    Who said anything about a hat? I want a full-blown cardigan, ASAP. Get moving.

    12/24/2005 9:45 AM  
    Blogger blahedo said...

    Keeping things secret also usually precludes advertising them on other people's blogs. ;)

    1/04/2006 1:56 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home