Tuesday, December 13, 2005

  • Main Page
  • In As Many Days

    Some of us come on earth seeing - Some of us come on earth seeing color. -Louise Nevelson

    I've now visited two yarn stores in as many days. As previously mentioned, I'm in the fair city of Seattle enjoying a place where it rains, not snows, in the winter but is still cool enough to let you enjoy your handknit socks.

    The first, Churchmouse Yarns and Teas, was a delightful surprise at the end of our jaunt around Bainbridge Island, courtesy of my wonderful - but sadly, non-knitting - hostess. Maybe the surprise (who knew Bainbridge Island was even big enough for a yarn shop?) was part of it, but it was a truely delightful store. All decorated for Christmas, open, airy, well-stocked with things that are sometimes harder to find (Koigu, Manos, Jamieson's Shetland), and nicely arranged. The staff were present, visible, and helpful when asked, but not oppressive. I bought two skeins of varigated Manos that might just become this scarf. Then again, they might not. All in the fullness of time . . .

    Today my hostess had to work, so I delighted myself with the idea that I'd take an extended visit to Seattle's most famous yarn store, Tricoter. When Mapquest determined that it was a mile and half walk each way (but didn't note that it was all uphill on the return), I knew that the gods were smiling favorably on this plan, and that I would get a little exercise, too. I don't quite know how to critique this store, since I was there for about 2 hours and still have no idea what they carry. The yarns were all arranged by color. Theoretically, this should make me creative. Actually, this made me crazy.

    It all starts out OK, you wander, you fondle, you notice some Kidsilk Haze. Ah, Kidsilk Haze, you think. What a nice yarn. That would make a nice little shawl, but not in magenta. Maybe in a grassy-green. So you wander over to the grassy-green section. No Kidsilk Haze in sight. But you spot some really nice Lavold's Silky Wool. Hmmm, Silky Wool, you think. A friend requested a hat in navy blue and you couldn't decide if it should be tweedy or not. Silky Wool might be a perfect compromise. So you head over to the navy blue section. No Silky Wool. In fact, not much in navy blue. But the purples catch your eye and think maybe . . .

    Maybe never happens. Very frustrating. And how on earth would you ever put together a multi-color garment in a store like that? I guess I don't see the world in color, but I like stores arranged by yarn. My other big problem with this store was the continuous "Can I help you?" from a rotating cadre of salespersons. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be ignored than be smothered. Overall, I was not impressed. The silver lining is that I didn't spend more money on yarn.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    I'd heard about the Tricoter "concept," but couldn't picture it working for me. It's good to read your review and understand why I felt that way!

    12/13/2005 8:13 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    I've been to a yarn shop in Kansas City that organizes its yarn the same way. I find it very frustrating. I'm not the kind of knitter that wanders aimlessly around a yarn store and I find it difficult to leave with what I wanted!

    Good luck on your traveling yarn crawl!

    12/15/2005 8:10 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home